Author Topic: Separate configurations  (Read 3903 times)

jaybird23238

• View Profile
Separate configurations
« on: 2016-07-01 08:58:10 »
Is there a way to have separate properties for different files?

I want my file called "Brown Family" to open in the c:\pictures\brownfamily folder but I want the smith family file to open in the c:\pictures\smithfamily.

Also I want to control the auto thumbnail.  I may want one to auto create and another to wait for me to tell it to do so.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
Separate configurations
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-01 11:05:19 »
This is probably one of the most requested features since TP began, but as yet it hasn't been implemented. The configuration ought to be stored in the database, not an .ini file. The .ini file should be reserved for settings specific to the PC (for example hardware or file system) that is common to every database.

There was a thread that I can't find now, where someone wrote a batch file that modified thumbs10.ini before opening the database. This has limitations however, because making any config changes won't be reflected the next time the database is opened.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Separate configurations
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-01 11:33:22 »
> This is probably one of the most requested features since TP began, but as yet it hasn't been implemented.

Actually it used to work that way before v8.

A commandline option that determines which config file must be used could solve this.

>The configuration ought to be stored in the database, not an .ini file.
No, that wouldn't work well for multiuser configurations.

To the OP: I'd just set the opening folder to the one you use most often, and make your other often-used folders 'favorites' (right-click on the folder name in the tree, 'Add to favorites'). From then on, two quick clicks will take you there (click on the gold star above the tree).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

jaybird23238

• View Profile
Separate configurations
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-05 20:28:54 »
Thanks for that suggestion.  One of the major issues I have is the "make thumbnails automatically"  

I have about 4 or 5 different db files that I use, and some I want/need auto, but with others I find it undesirable.

Another drawback is the thumbnail size.  Again, different sizes for different data bases.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Separate configurations
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-05 20:56:40 »
Yes, it would be great if we could use multiple configuration files.

There are some workarounds that involve batch files and/or Powershell, if it's important enough and you can invest some time, you may want to look into that. Previous discussions on this subject include:

http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=113
http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=4385
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.