Author Topic: What happens to my database if I move the source folder?  (Read 2773 times)

DancerX

• View Profile
TP9 SP1 3938
Windows 7 SP1

I currently have one database containing video files in one folder on my hard drive. I've been adding keywords, ratings, and a user field.

If I have to move the source folder (the one that contains the files) - within TP9 - to another hard drive, what will happen to those keywords, etc? Will they follow? If not, is there a workaround?

Many years ago, when I did this, I lost all of my keywords. I'd like to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks in advance!!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What happens to my database if I move the source folder?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-07 20:11:15 »
> If I have to move the source folder (the one that contains the files) - within TP9 - to another hard drive, what will happen to those keywords, etc? Will they follow?

Yes, they wil follow as long as Thumbsplus does your moving/copying. If you feel uneasy about the operation, just back-up your database and remember the original location of your video files (that is: their full path plus the volume lable of the drive).

> Many years ago, when I did this, I lost all of my keywords.

Well, that would be the first time that I hear of that happening. Of course, it will happen when you use Explorer or a different program to do the moving 'behind TPs back'. That would make the files look new to TP, and it would have to create new thumbnails (or rather: new database records, starting from scratch) for them.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DancerX

• View Profile
What happens to my database if I move the source folder?
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-07 21:22:30 »
> > If I have to move the source folder (the one that contains the files) - within TP9 - to another hard drive, what will happen to those keywords, etc? Will they follow?
>
> Yes, they wil follow as long as Thumbsplus does your moving/copying. If you feel uneasy about the operation, just back-up your database and remember the original location of your video files (that is: their full path plus the volume lable of the drive).

Thanks, Daan. I'd hoped that would be the case. Entering keywords, etc. is hard enough, but much worse to do it over again.

> > Many years ago, when I did this, I lost all of my keywords.
>
> Well, that would be the first time that I hear of that happening. Of course, it will happen when you use Explorer or a different program to do the moving 'behind TPs back'. That would make the files look new to TP, and it would have to create new thumbnails (or rather: new database records, starting from scratch) for them.

Exactly. When I said 'many years ago', it was with one of the very earliest versions of Thumbsplus. I'm one of those 20-year customers mentioned in the newsletters. Until now, I've been afraid to enter keywords ever since. :-)

Thanks again, Daan, for confirming that moving the folder within TP will keep the database intact.