Author Topic: Failure to effect turn or rotate  (Read 2977 times)

jimhazel

Failure to effect turn or rotate
« on: 2014-09-03 00:43:44 »
Sudden problem after 10 years or more using the product -- When I turn a jpg image, either using the jpeg options under file or using the turn and mirror or even the rotate, I get no indication of failure but the intended action is not effected.

The image viewed does rotate/turn.  I issue a command to save and sometimes I also create a new thumbnail.  If I create a thumbnail, it mirrors the image displayed.  If I then close the image and reopen it, it comes up without the turn.  I have cleared the option to keep the old date and time under options but that has not affected this.  I thought that perhaps the files involved were read-only, but I checked and that is not the case.  I have the network version and the same behaviour was seen on two computers: one running Windows 7 and the other Vista.  The Vista machine was using TP version 8 and the Windows 7 (64 bit) machine was running TP version 9.  Interestingly, Windows showed the orientation correctly over the network in the Explorer.  I thought perhaps it was a caching issue, but restarting TP had no effect.

I have exhausted my store of ideas, so if someone could suggest something that may be happening, I would greatly appreciate the input.  I suspect that this is an image interaction with Windows and not a TP issue, but it would be nice to solve the issue.  The images involved were taken on a Samsung Galaxy Camera (not the phone) which has apparently some issues with Windows.  I have had no problem with images taken from Canon cameras or Sony cameras.

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-09 15:13:51 »
Jim,

I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note II. The only fix I came up with is to copy the entire image to a clipboard and then paste it into an existing  blank (black) Jpg image that is larger than the Samsung original and then save that under another name. It's slow and annoying when there is a bunch of images to process.

Paul

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-13 07:24:24 »
I'm fairly certain I've seen this issue before, presented by others as well as myself.

What we want is the ability to clear the EXIF tag for orientation (0x0112) so we can rotate and save the base image so the browser (or other displaying) application will present the image correctly, regardless of EXIF compatibility.

Maybe this time they'll respond with more than "the orientation tag is working correctly." Sigh.

soothsayer99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-14 15:32:38 »
I was completely baffled by this. I opened a picture in View, and tried the options under Transform: Rotate, and Turn and Turn & Mirror. I finally gave up and rotated the image in MS Paint, since I wanted to send it out.

I later found, however, that in Thumbnail view, the menu choice Image, the Quick Process choice to rotate 90 degrees worked.

I wish it were clearer in this version whether I'm rotating a thumbnail or the image.