Author Topic: tiff - viewer don't show big tiff files  (Read 2860 times)

irreriwan

• View Profile
tiff - viewer don't show big tiff files
« on: 2014-06-30 12:39:38 »
Hi there

I'm evaluating currently different DAM programs. Thumbs+ 9 is really a good choice, but I have a problem opening large tiff files.

With ctrl+Enter it is possible to open a file in the viewer. Altough this works perfectly for jpg images, for tiff imges with either ~65MB or ~130MB (both are the result of scanning a 24*36mm slide with a Nikon Coolscan Scanner in either 8Bit or 16Bit color depth), the viewer never open the image.

Why this? Is it a bug? Is tiff not supported (shouldn't be, because in the small preview frame the image is shown and also IPTC metadata are extracted correctly)?

I have already set in "Preferences|Advanced" the Memory settings to the highest possible values.

Any suggestions or hints about this (non) behaviour?

Thanks!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-30 13:13:04 »
People use ThumbsPlus to work with TIFF files many times larger than that, so the size should not be a problem.

Ctrl+Enter opens an image in full screen mode. I don't expect it to make a difference, but have you tried just pressing Enter too, for a windowed viewer?

There's an option "Disable TIFF library memory mapping" under Options > File Loading > TIFF that you could try.

When you right-click on a TIFF file and select "Configure Type", what does it say for "Load file using:"? Values that should work are 'internal' and 'polyimage'.

When you use the same scanning software to produce a much smaller (low res) image, does that load? If not, do you see any error messages?

Something else to try:

[*]Go to Help | System Info and see what your 'Preferences path' is.
    [*]Exit TP and go to that folder.
    [*]Open your settings file, thumbs9.ini, in a text editor (eg. notepad) and add the following section to it:

[Virtualmemory]
    Minalloc=0

[*]Save the changes and re-launch TP to see if that has solved it.
    [/list]

And finally..:Have you tried on a different system?

If none of this helps, maybe you can post one of those files on dropbox and send me a link (or post it here) so I can see if it works here. TIFF is a complicated envelope format that can use a plethora of different internal compression and encoding schemes, even proprietary ones, and although it would seem unlikely that Nikon would do so, there is a small chance that this particular flavor just isn't (fully) supported.
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

irreriwan

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: 2014-06-30 15:59:31 »
    Hi Daan

Thanks for the fast answer. Unfortunately none of the ideas has worked.
    Two options I haven't tried -> creating a smaller image with the scanner. Reason for this: The scanner is currently out of house and I'm not able to create a new scan for a week or two.
    The second one: Trying it on another system due the fact I haven't another one.

The rest I have tried.

For the configuring type:

I have tried both of the suggested options: internal and polyimage - none of them have worked.

I have uploaded such a troublemaker image:
    http://ysebahn.huerz.ch/docs/15_21_0000-00-00.tif

Regards

Peter

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: 2014-07-01 04:09:34 »
    Hi Peter,

Something seems to have gone wrong with your TIF filetype definition. Please duplicate the following settings (you can keep Irfanview as an editor, but 'category', 'class' and 'Load file using' are important):

Your image loaded without any hiccups here, so I'm hopeful that this will solve it.
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

irreriwan

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 2014-07-01 14:52:54 »
    Hi Daan

Thanks! With these settings it works now! :)

Peter