Author Topic: Rotating images doesn't work  (Read 5386 times)

DavidMed

• View Profile
Rotating images doesn't work
« on: 2013-08-02 18:49:56 »
Hi folks
I'm new to Version 9 [but not to Thumbs...came in at Ver 3, I think]

Anyway...I have been struggling to rotate an image taken with the camera vertical.  I know how to rotate...Ctrl, Shift...etc or via the menu. The image appears to rotate OK, but when I close it, the thumbnail is as it was and the image re-opens as it was.
I have tried this many ways...90 degree intervals....keying in 270 degrees..quick process on the thumbnail...  Each time it looks like success, but re-opening reverts to sideways.
I'm using Windows 7 and the camera is a Panasonic compact.

Any ideas?

Cheers

David in north Wales

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-03 09:32:44 »
Hi David,

I do the following:

- open the image
- select Transform | Turn & Mirror | Turn 90 CW (or Turn 90 CCW)
- save the file

The image is saved rotated.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Gary

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-03 13:18:04 »
Hi Gary
Thanks for the reply. I had done all of that, including saving the image - but it didn't work!  In fact I had tried as many ways to rotate as I could [3 x 90deg; 180deg + 90deg etc.], saving after each attempt, but none worked. Very weird.

One detail I omitted from my first post because I forgot - I was working on a resized copy of the original photo. Not likely to be significant, but maybe it is.
I will do a test photo, and I'll also try rotating the original.
Cheers

David
PS I'll update with the result of my check which will be later this evening, I hope]

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-08 14:21:43 »
Hi David,

Thank you for your continued support!

What type of files are these?

If they are camera raw files try changing the option to rotate images based on EXIF orientation. OPTIONS>DIGICAM PLUG-IN

There is another option in OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>METADATA that you can turn on/off rotation. You can also try "Don't rotate portrait images" in the same dialog box.

Less likely; Files that were previously rotated in version 6 or earlier were saved with an incorrect orientation tag. ThumbsPlus version 6 didn't actually set the orientation tag at all. When one of these files is rotated in version 7, 8 or 9 the file will be rotated twice, turning 180 instead of the desired 90, because of the incorrect orientation tag.

I know that rotation issues need to be cleaned up and this is planned!

Kind regards,
Laura Shook
Cerious Software, Inc.

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-10 19:31:41 »
I hada this problem with two photos that I loaded onto my PC from a cell phone. Freaked me out!

Here's my fix. I took an existing photo in Thumbs and resized it so that it was large enough to accept the delinquent image. I then simply pasted the delinquent image in and renamed the file to avoid overwriting the good original. Now I could rotate it without a problem.

Paul

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-12 10:23:06 »
Hi Paul
Many thanks for that advice.  It sounds a bit 'clunky', but maybe it's a good work around if the main problem doesn't get fixed.
I have a bit more evidence re: the problem - see my response to Laura.
Best regards

DM

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-12 10:37:10 »
Hi Laura
Many thanks for taking the time to reply, and apologies for the delay in responding.  I have done a bit of testing and now have some more information that may help you to identify a fix.

First, my files are JPGs, from a Panasonic TZ40 at max quality, so files are about 7Mb - too big for some of the uses that I put them to.

I find that the 'original' file, as copied from the camera to my PC, is absolutely fine - i.e. is 'presented' in portrait form, as it was taken with the camera.  
However....two strange behaviours:
1.  If I rotate then save the original file from portrait to landscape, it looks OK on screen [i.e. it is correctly rotated as per my actions]. But if I exit the file, the thumbnail is NOT rotated  and re-opening the file gives the un-rotated version. [i.e. my rotation actions have not been saved].
2. If I copy the file to another folder, it stays in portrait format. If I then re-size the file [25%, H 918, W 1224] and save, the saved file is presented as landscape and, as above, attempts to rotate it back to portrait do not succeed.

I think you are on the right lines when you surmise that the 'rotation' tags are being lost/altered.

Hope that helps.

David

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-12 10:43:22 »
Hi again
Another strange behaviour....  If I rotate a file from, say, landscape to portrait, save it, and then press "F3 - make thumbnail", the thumbnail gets correctly presented as 'portrait'.  But when I open the thumbnail, the file is displayed in its original landscape format.
Baffles me.

DM

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-21 05:03:46 »
Hi Laura
My rotation problems with Thumbs 9 continue, but I have found a simple work-around which may help others faced with the same problem.

The answer: Rotate the image thumbnail in Windows Explorer. [I'm using Windows 7]. Right click on the thumbnail and take the "Rotate...." option as required (clockwise or counterclockwise).

This rotation is recognised by Thumbs and appears to be a permanent solution - it continues to work after image resizing.
Cheers

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-21 08:48:22 »
Hi Laura,

You can download a suitable portrait-oriented straight-out-of-camera Panasonic TZ40 sample image here: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8644962327_baf3bc813a_o_d.jpg

I'm seeing the same problem with my own files from an Olympus E-510 though, so I think it's a generic problem.

When "Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation" in Opt|Pref|Metadata is on, TP does display the image correctly when it is first opened, but then seems to fail to reset the orientation flag from left-bottom to left-top when it is saved in an EXIF-compatible format (JPG, TIF, etc). Saving as BMP works fine.

Another bit of confusion can be seen in the Properties dialog of a re-saved image: The Orientation value in the Database tab will say "0° (normal)", but the metadata in the Info tab still shows "Orientation: Left-bottom".
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

j

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-21 14:18:35 »
Hi,

I have a long history of issues with rotating in ThumbsPlus.  I had a lot of issues with pictures looking incorrectly rotated in some or all of TP, on the disk using other programs, on various websites.

Here's what I finally did:

* Turn off auto-rotate based on Exif

* Rotate pictures as needed with the rotate function

* Run a 3rd party tool in the same folder called exiftool, and reset all the rotation flags to 0

That pretty much fixes it for me.  I'm concerned that the jpg thumbnails stored inside the jpg file itself are still incorrect, but it doesn't seem to cause me any problems, ever.

I've tried all sorts of things within ThumbsPlus to fix it, but finally gave up.  I think TP just doesn't handle it right, or at least doesn't handle it according to how I need it handled.

Best wishes.

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-21 15:17:48 »
=>  Rotating images doesn't work (ThumbsPlus v9 Support)
>
>  by Laura Shook, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 14:21 (317 days ago) @ DavidMed

>  There is another option in OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>METADATA that you can
>  turn on/off rotation. You can also try "Don't rotate portrait images"
>  in the same dialog box.

Wanted to chime in, year later on this issue and, the above steps from Laura resolved the issue for me.

I was having the loss of rotated orientation issue, since getting v9.  I would take the original photo, resize down as needed, rotate as needed, save to a new file.  The thumbnail stayed un-rotated and when I reopened the photo after, was un-rotated still.

Turned off "Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation" as it reads in v9 Sp1, fixed the problem.  So guessing, this option must have come about or came enabled as a default, somewhere in the various releases of v9, as was fine in years past.

Frolin

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-06-22 06:55:09 »
Hi Frolin
Excellent! Many thanks for this - it works for me too. At least I think it does - have yet to see the results when posting 'rotated' photos in other applications, but it certainly works within Thumbs.
Well explored.

David

DavidMed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-06-22 06:58:31 »
Hi Daan
Thanks for your post on "Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation"

I didn't see this until just now when Frolin posted. Changing those settings seems to work for me.
Regards

David