Author Topic: Limiting where a Database will look for Pictures  (Read 13575 times)

bbelk

• View Profile
Limiting where a Database will look for Pictures
« on: 2017-01-12 08:17:09 »
I have separated my photos into two Databases.  The photos live on separate drives and exist for separate reasons.

If I use the Backspace key to move back through folders, it does not respect the separation between Databases, and will jump to a folder in the other Database and scan in all the images.

Is there a way to limit where a particular Database will look for images?

Is there a way to automatically delete the list the Backspace key works from when exiting the program.

Is there a way to have a different Backspace list for different Databases?

A similar problem exists for the dropdown Keyword list that you get to with a right-click-slide-and-hover.

Is it possible to have two copies of Thumbsplus in separate directories so that I could start the one I want and never get any cross pollination between the two Databases.

Thanks
Brad

bbelk

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-12 11:03:53 »
I have figured out that the key to this particular question is in the thumbs10.ini file under the [FolderHistory] heading.

Perhaps a better question would be:  Is it possible to have a different thumbs10.ini for different databases?

Thanks
Brad

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-01-12 14:04:27 »
> Perhaps a better question would be:  Is it possible to have a different thumbs10.ini for different databases?

Not out of the box, but there are workarounds (involving Windows scripts or batch files), as discussed here:

http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=113
http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=4385

To get back to some of your original questions:

> If I use the Backspace key to move back through folders, it does not respect the separation between Databases, and will jump to a folder in the other Database and scan in all the images.

Note that you can turn off 'Make thumbnails automatically' in Options | Preferences | Thumbnails. Then you can merrily browse around without leaving a trail of undesired thumbnails :)

> Is there a way to limit where a particular Database will look for images?

There are a few options that can help there, but they are stored in thumbs10.ini as well, and so, would apply to both databases (unless you'd use one of those workarounds for that). They are:

Options | Preferences | Disks & Folders | Exclude These Drive Letters:
Options | Preferences | Disks & Folders | Only Show Folders With Thumbnails

These options would remove drives from the tree panel, and folders for which no thumbnails have been created yet.

Finally, with regard to the Backspace key and your folder history: See Options | Preferences | Privacy, where you can stop TP from saving folder history between sessions.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

bbelk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-01-13 07:26:49 »
Thank you very much.  The Privacy option is the perfect answer for me.

Finally, with regard to the Backspace key and your folder history: See Options | Preferences | Privacy, where you can stop TP from saving folder history between sessions.