Author Topic: Can ThumbsPlus view and manipulate Dfs files?  (Read 3036 times)

George Curran

• View Profile
Can ThumbsPlus view and manipulate Dfs files?
« on: 2017-06-23 05:47:01 »
Can Thumbs see and work with files stored on network drives that are using Microsoft Distributed File Services - or do the files all have to be on conventional network or local drives?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can ThumbsPlus view and manipulate Dfs files?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-06-23 07:01:02 »
> Can Thumbs see and work with files stored on network drives that are using Microsoft Distributed File Services - or do the files all have to be on conventional network or local drives?

Technically, sure, it can open them and write them (if the user has sufficient access rights).

However, there have been problems in the past because DFS presents (or used to present?) inconsistent volume labels when different users access DFS volumes. TP needs volume labels to remain consistent because it uses them to match the image files with their records in the thumbnail database. What it boiled down to is that thumbnails created by one user or on one system would seem to have disappeared when another user (or someone on a different system) would try to access them.

Some users presented work-arounds (you'll find some when you google for ThumbsPlus and DFS; and if you want, I can copy some relevant messages from the old ThumbsPlus newsgroups to this thread). However, that was 10 years ago, and both DFS and ThumbsPlus have changed since then. I don't know the current status. You could try asking Cerious directly through support@cerious.com or maybe someone else will chime in who knows the answer.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.