Author Topic: v9 newbe questions.  (Read 3493 times)

amtronic

• View Profile
v9 newbe questions.
« on: 2014-02-16 13:08:12 »
I had been using v7 with no problems. With v9, I can't figure out how to --

1. With v7 each directory that had a subdirectory had a + sign in the location window. Now with v9 only the directory I happen to be sitting in shows the + sign. To navigate to a different subdirectory elsewhere on the drive I have to first select the parent directory, kill TP9, and restart it. Now that directory has a + sign on it and the subdirectory is viewable and selectable. I want the + sign to be displayed on each directory with a subdirectory, and the ability to navigate to it.

2. Each parent directory has in it all thumbnails for all subdirectories under it. This causes TP9 to take forever to start. Clearly I do not want this, I want the thumbnails to only be displayed in the directory or subdirectory I choose.

I installed the release version of TP9 and also have tried the 9.1 SP1 V.3 with the same results. I have gone thru the Preferences/Viewing/File Loading options several times and have given up hope. Please point out the error of my ways! Thanks for the assistance.

Gary

• View Profile
v9 newbe questions.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-16 19:16:29 »
This is a weird issue.  I have attached the settings I use for folders and I have none of the issues you describe.

What operating system are you using?

amtronic

• View Profile
v9 newbe questions.
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-17 14:03:10 »
XP SP3

My settings are identical to yours except for some of the folders checked at the bottom of the box.

The box labeled Indicate Expandable Branches seems to be counterintuitive. If I select it with a check, no folders/subfolders have a plus mark next to them.
If I deselect it, remove the check, all folders have a plus mark next to them, even those folders without an image or subfolder in them.

I have deinstalled and reinstalled several times and have grown tired of messing with it. I wish I could just go back to the v7 I had.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v9 newbe questions.
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-18 05:32:07 »
> 1. With v7 each directory that had a subdirectory had a + sign in the location window. Now with v9 only the directory I happen to be sitting in shows the + sign.

You're probalby viewing a network drive.  Network folders (eg on a NAS drive) don't show whether they are expandable because pre-reading the whole tree might take ages.

> To navigate to a different subdirectory elsewhere on the drive I have to first select the parent directory, kill TP9, and restart it.

That's just weird. But instead of restarting TP9, try pressing Ctrl-F5 (refresh tree) if this happens again.

> 2. Each parent directory has in it all thumbnails for all subdirectories under it.  This causes TP9 to take forever to start. Clearly I do not want this, I want the thumbnails to only be displayed in the directory or subdirectory I choose.

Well, you shouldn't have turned that option on then :-)

To turn it back off, Go to Options | Preferences | Thumbnail View and unmark "always show child folders".

If you prefer version 7, you can simply re-install it (in a different folder than v9). There's no need to remove either version if you also want to use the other.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Gary

• View Profile
v9 newbe questions.
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-20 08:25:07 »
Looks like build 3935 might address your issue:

"Fixed missing expandable branches in the folder tree on some versions of Windows."