Author Topic: Slow Loading of Thumbs in T10 vs T7  (Read 6719 times)

Street Mann

• View Profile
Slow Loading of Thumbs in T10 vs T7
« on: 2019-03-04 09:22:20 »
I experience slow loading of thumbnails if T10.

I click on a folder, and after about a 1 second  delay,  the thumbs start displaying at  about 10 per second ... Thumbs 7 was fairly instant to first  image to display a and then the rest of the process went at about 30-40  thumbs displayed per second.

Also, If I wait and wait and wait, without scrolling, while what I think is population of the display array is happening,T10 ONLY populates/displays the first screen of thumbs  that will fit in my window. When, thinking that OK all the background populating has happened,  I scroll down with the wheel, I get no joy -   there is blank space  at the bottom of the thumbs window, and only then does the display start apparently building the display of  those next images in the folder. ARRRGGGG :(

Now, here is where it gets even more interesting .. AFTER doing the scroll/ wait/ display, and then scroll/ wait/ display to the end of the folder of images, the mouse scroll back and forward IS speedy and instant like it was in T7.

If I  then click out to another folder, I go thru the same frustrating process of a waited display, and then when when click back into the original folder, T10 still has the wait/scroll wait/display/scroll/wait display lag.  :-\

Whats up? Am I missing a setting. Do others have this behavior??

I have run T7 of the same win 10 machine and the loading and scrolling up and down is super fast .  8) I have tried this with the thumbnails contained in the database, and also with a database having images contained in folders.

« Last Edit: 2019-03-04 17:46:26 by Street Mann »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Loading of Thumbs in T10 vs T7
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-04 19:13:05 »
AFTER doing the scroll/ wait/ display, and then scroll/ wait/ display to the end of the folder of images, the mouse scroll back and forward IS speedy and instant like it was in T7.

In addition to information from the database, TP also reads real-time information from the folder itself. I suspect that this is where the delays occur. To test this theory, you could scan a DVD or USB stick that holds images (enough to fill a few pages of thumbnails), then remove it so that TP's tree shows it under Offline Discs. Do you see any such delays when you're scrolling the offline images?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-06 16:00:37 »
Here is a clip of what i am talking about .. https://youtu.be/NwkhE3ZPHsc

a little coarse at places  .... but all said with love ... 8)

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-08 15:46:40 »
Please try the following for problems with speed changing folders or building file lists:

1. Turn off "Make thumbnails automatically" from Options>Preferences>Thumbnails. (If this is on, ThumbsPlus will scan for thumbnails each time you go to another folder.)

2. You may have "Watch changes in folders" selected in Options>Preferences>Thumbnail View. Turn this option OFF to disable ThumbsPlus watching for updated, new or deleted files in the current folder. This may improve performance in folders with many files.

3. If you have selected folders to be watched in Tree>Watch folders, ThumbsPlus WILL continuously watch all of the folders you have set up in this manner. You may want to remove any watched folders that you have configured.

4. Turn off the option that shows folders in the thumbnail view. This is an option that isn't used often and was added in the program for a customization job. It could possibly slow things down.

5. If you are using a Network license and your network is slow, then ThumbsPlus will be slow as well as it can't run faster than the network allows.

6. If you are having an EXTREME speed issue, and if this database has been converted from an old version, AND you are showing User Fields in the thumbnail view note that the Date Time Orig UDF  is no longer valid, should NOT be used and WILL cause this exact problem.

Please choose to NOT show the Date Time Orig UDF in the thumbnail view. Then you can create a new user field with another date criteria as shown in the attached image. If this does indeed fix the issue, remove the Date Time Orig User Field and you can choose to show udf's in the thumbnail view once again. (Any other fields, including new date fields can be shown in the thumbnail view without issues.)

Kind regards,
Laura
support@thumbsplus.com

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-08 15:54:06 »
AFTER doing the scroll/ wait/ display, and then scroll/ wait/ display to the end of the folder of images, the mouse scroll back and forward IS speedy and instant like it was in T7.

In addition to information from the database, TP also reads real-time information from the folder itself. I suspect that this is where the delays occur. To test this theory, you could scan a DVD or USB stick that holds images (enough to fill a few pages of thumbnails), then remove it so that TP's tree shows it under Offline Discs. Do you see any such delays when you're scrolling the offline images?

My preliminary tests indicate that if I do the steps mentioned by Daan to use the metadata editor to move the converted-from-t7-database image data (keywords and annotations) from my converted from T7 database [myconvereddatabase.tpdb8]  to the metadata in that same tpdb8 database, and then open the default database in t10, and rescan the thumbs, that the metadata now impressed on the image can be properly brought into the t10 database and the folders will scroll fast. ( thumbs will auto populate the thumbs databasae with certain fields that are in the image metadata.)

I think that there must have been a dangling participle in the old td4 database that was converted to a t10 database,  and that getting the images indexed by a clean t10 database will eliminate the slow loading and scrolling.

Ill keep you posted 8)

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-03-08 15:57:48 »
Hey Laura,

That is good info and I will follow up on it as I see if it still exists after I do all the actions suggested by Daan at the other thread ... I think maybe the slow folder load may also be related to the slow scrolling issue discussed more extensively at that other thread. 8)

http://forum.thumbsplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=5941.0

« Last Edit: 2019-03-08 16:10:02 by Street Mann »

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-03-19 20:17:40 »
Laura

Please see my previous thread post about my success and making it all work fast ..

http://forum.thumbsplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=5941.0;all