Author Topic: Move- Folder Need Advice/Confirmation  (Read 3814 times)

Street Mann

• View Profile
Move- Folder Need Advice/Confirmation
« on: 2021-01-23 11:54:46 »
I have gotten a new external hard drive. I want to move all my images from my old hard drive to the new drive ( using the TP+ ver 10  Move Feature).

Will this move the folder, its sub folders, and the images, AND the Annotations, keywords, and Gallerys/ Image gallery assignments??

Thanks

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Move- Folder Need Advice/Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-23 15:45:32 »
Yes, it will do all of that.

However, I would recommend that you make a backup of the database and the image folder beforehand (as I would recomment before any such 'major operation' :) )  and personally, I would copy rather than move the images, and only delete the source files once I'm satisfied that the operation has been a success.

You will also have to assign a volume label to the new drive, but I guess TP will prompt you for that if the drive doesn't already have a label.

Afterwards, you may want to do 'Database | Advanced | Compact & Repair' to physically free up the space from the old thumbnail records in the database file (if you've used the two-step Copy + Delete appoach rather than Move.. I don't think that Move alone would generate new records. Actually I'm not sure, but it won't hurt, so I'd do a Compact & Repair anyway).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Street Mann

• View Profile
Re: Move- Folder Need Advice/Confirmation
« Reply #2 on: 2021-01-30 14:43:01 »
Ah Yes: Copy  - Confirm - Delete
Thanks for that reminder. One time I got burned on a move with some large files and folders. Losk some work. It was not T+ but other move operations.