Author Topic: Unable to delete file 5108.5 error  (Read 3527 times)

amtronic

• View Profile
Unable to delete file 5108.5 error
« on: 2017-08-09 11:48:23 »
I've added a second drive to my win 10 system, primarily for managing my family photos. My issue is that I am unable to delete a file from within TP10sp1 on that new drive. I can delete just fine on my C: drive, just not the D: drive. Instead I get a 5108.5 error. I have admin rights to the system and can delete files directories etc from Windows itself, but cannot inside of TP. I have explored all topics inside of the Help system, and looked at shares, rights, etc of files and the hard drive itself.
I reinstalled TP7 and have the same problem with that version too.
I accept that it is a problem with my system but don't know what to check next. Please offer many suggestions for me to work thru so we don't have to painfully go thru each one step by step. Since it is on Drive D: only it seems like it should be something particular with that drive yet all settings are identical in type to the C drive.

Helpful Info:
Everything works within TP on drive C:
Cannot delete files within TP on drive D:
I have deleted the database file completely.
I have reinstalled TP10.
I installed and removed TP7 and verified same problem.
This problem is only on the new D: drive.
Drive C: -- 1 gig NTFS basic GPT SATA
Drive D: -- 2 gig NTFS basic GPT SATA

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2017-08-09 14:56:43 »
What file format are these image files - regular JPGs? In the filetype definition for that type (Options | Prefs | File Types), is 'Load using' set to 'Internal'?

Something to try:

Run TP and select one of those undeletable files. Verify that TP cannot delete it. Keep the file selected.

Now also lauch Explorer ('This PC' I believe it's called on Win10) and use that to delete the file. If that works, it looks like TP doesn't have sufficient access rights and running TP 'as Administrator' (right-click on its desktop icon to get that option) should solve the problem.

If Explorer can NOT delete the file either, close TP. Wait a few seconds, go back to Explorer and try to delete the file once more. If Explorer can delete the file now, something in (or associated with) TP was keeping the file open and locked, and we'll have to look into what that might be. If Explorer still fails to delete it now (without TP possibly locking the file) the problem would not be TP-related (but given your description that seems unlikely).

Assuming that something in or associated with TP is locking the file, some possible causes are:

- A so far undetected bug in TP (unlikely, except maybe if you're using a rather exotic file format)
- TP's "load using" method for that filetype is launching an external application (OLE, filter, etc) that is not releasing the file.
- Security/Antivirus software may be locking the file (make your images folder an exception in that software's configuration)
- Windows may be locking the file (but that's usually only temporarily, e.g. for thumbnailing or indexing).

If you're comfortable using commandline tools, there's a free utility from SysInternals called Handle ([link=https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle]link[/link]) that tells you which processes are locking what files. Or, for a GUI-based alternative, try their Process Explorer tool ([link=https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer]link[/link]). You could try either whilst TP is running and whilst it has one of those undeletable files selected.

(the reason why I'm asking you to keep the file selected is that this will usually display the image in the preview panel, which requires the file to be opened, which should trigger whatever process is locking it).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

amtronic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-08-09 17:00:48 »
That was it! Load Using fixed it. I still don't understand why it would delete files under drive C but not drive D but hey it works now!  Thank you for you time and advice!!