Author Topic: Webp files (Chrome)  (Read 6836 times)

longshortchris

• View Profile
Webp files (Chrome)
« on: 2019-05-14 09:05:38 »
I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to view these files in Thumbsplus 10.2

There was a post from nearly three years ago, but that really hasn't helped (Missing link).

So, is there an easy way of viewing these images?

As it is, I can't view then in Windows Explorer either!  I'm having to view them through 123 Photo Viewer, which is a free downloaded from the Microsoft store.

So, how do I add webp files to my viewable files, so that I can see them through Thumbsplus?  When I arrange a shoot with a model, it's nice to be able to draw up a moodboard from the odd images I haver downloaded onto my pc...

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Webp files (Chrome)
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-14 09:35:32 »
I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to view these files in Thumbsplus 10.2

There was a post from nearly three years ago, but that really hasn't helped (Missing link).

This link is said to be working:

https://storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/releases/webp/WebpCodecSetup.exe

However you may want to read the recent discussion here about it causing Photo Viewer in the latest Win10's to show Webp images darker::

https://techdows.com/2011/04/viewing-webp-images-on-windows.html

« Last Edit: 2019-05-14 12:26:44 by Daan van Rooijen »
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

longshortchris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-15 04:28:59 »
Thank you for your assistance - I was getting a blank page but for 'pageok' and a '404' from the links in the previous question that was asked in 2016 (2016!)

So, it's a great big massive ginormous 'NO' from Thumbsplus, then?

I've decided to painstakingly convert them one by one using this free software.  I don't know if there is a daily limit, but I'm sure I'll find out soon!  ;-)  I tried Convertio, but that asked for payment almost straight away despite advertising it was free.

https://ezgif.com/webp-to-jpg

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-15 13:54:54 »
ThumbsPlus  is usually able to pick up the thumbnail that Windows creates for any file type if you configure it to load using "none". For some reason ThumbsPlus can't grab the webp thumbnails that Windows creates and I don't know why.

ThumbsPlus v11 will support the webp file type. (I wish they would have just stuck with .jpg or .png.)

I have a couple of customers that are using the "Make from clipboard" option for webp files.  Once this is set up and the thumbnail is created, you will then have thumbnails and will be able to right click the thumbnail and go to "edit" to open the file in the associated program. You can do without having the thumbnail created now. To add webp, go to Options>Preferences>File types>New and set load file using to "none", edit to "association". 

I will post a FAQ as soon as I have a few minutes (with illustrations)!

Kind regards,
Laura

Justinc1995

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-10-09 16:52:00 »
Thank you for your assistance - I was getting a blank page but for 'pageok' and a '404' from the links in the previous question that was asked in 2016 (2016!)

So, it's a great big massive ginormous 'NO' from Thumbsplus, then?

I've decided to painstakingly convert them one by one using this free software.  I don't know if there is a daily limit, but I'm sure I'll find out soon!  ;-)  I tried Convertio, but that asked for payment almost straight away despite advertising it was free.

https://ezgif.com/webp-to-jpg

Ezgif & Convertio are probably enough for an average person daily tasks. I used them and they work pretty fine. However, if you have images in Bulk, and you want to convert them free, AnyWebP would be the great companion for you.

What I really like about this tool is that it doesn't upload image first to its server before converting.