Author Topic: Double click on thumbnail opens Windows Photo Viewer  (Read 3627 times)

ncc1701

• View Profile
I don't know what I might have done to bring about this change.

Formerly, and preferably, when I double clicked on a thumbnail in Thumbsplus (7 and 8), the result would be to view the image within ThumbsPlus.   Now, it opens the Windows Photo Viewer.

I can Right Click, and chose 'view' from the dropdown menu for the desired result.  But, obviously just double clicking the thumbnail is preferable.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Gary

• View Profile
Double click on thumbnail opens Windows Photo Viewer
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-10 12:09:54 »
My only guess would be to go to Options|Preferences|File Types.  Expand Image and check the appropriate file extension and make sure it is set to "Load file using: Internal".

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-10 13:26:48 »
Options | Preferences | General | Default Action should be set to 'view', not 'edit'.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

ncc1701

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-10 14:48:49 »
> Options | Preferences | General | Default Action should be set to 'view', not 'edit'.
That did it!  Sorry, I tried to find the answer before posting.  But, I couldn't find anything.

Thank you very much!

ncc1701

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-13 23:39:53 »
> Options | Preferences | General | Default Action should be set to 'view', not 'edit'.
Even though this solved the problem, I'm kind of fuzzy on why it did.

Logically, setting the default action to edit would not open the WPV, it would open the file within TP for editing.

Can you explain this?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-14 10:10:57 »
> Logically, setting the default action to edit would not open the WPV, it would open the file within TP for editing.

TP's viewer is also a simple editor, but it's still referred to as 'Viewer'.

The idea (some 21 years ago when TP was first conceived) was that you would use a dedicated external program such as Paintshop to edit your images. Over the years, the viewer has gained many editing features but I guess the wording hasn't changed. And so, 'viewing' and 'viewer' still refer to the internal viewer/editor and 'editing' refers to whatever external program is associated to files of that particular type (in your case, that happens to be WPV which ironically is a viewer rather than an editor).

By default, a double-click or opens the file for viewing, and Shift-Double-Click or Shift-Enter opens it in an external program for editing. This default action can be reversed, as happened on your system.

When you right-click on a file, you can select 'Configure filetype' to change how files of that type will be loaded by TP for viewing (the 'Load using:' value), or which program should be called when you want to edit them ('Edit using:').
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

ncc1701

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-14 13:20:46 »
> The idea (some 21 years ago when TP was first conceived) was that you would use a dedicated external program such as Paintshop to edit your images. Over the years, the viewer has gained many editing features but I guess the wording hasn't changed. And so, 'viewing' and 'viewer' still refer to the internal viewer/editor and 'editing' refers to whatever external program is associated to files of that particular type (in your case, that happens to be WPV which ironically is a viewer rather than an editor).

Thank you.  The development history makes sense of it.  Perhaps it is time for the wording to change.

In any event, I use the TP 'viewer' to do most of my editing.  And now I have the program working the way I want it to, thanks to you.