Author Topic: v10 error message  (Read 4824 times)

wingfield

• View Profile
v10 error message
« on: 2016-01-24 17:23:17 »
folks,

any idea what this error means.  I successfully got in to TPv10 earlier today after a v7 to v10 restore.  played around with some stuff, mostly just setting favorites.  I got out, then an hour or so later, got back in and I get the below error.

thank you for any help.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-24 21:42:32 »
When ThumbsPlus opens a database, a record for that session is added to the ActiveUsers table in the database. This is part of license validation; when you have a 5-user license and there are 5 active users already, a 6th user would be told that no slots are currently available.

The error message means that either your session wasn't registered in the database or the database wasn't accessible for more than 5 minutes. Maybe it's on a drive that went into hibernation or on a network connection that went down.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

wingfield

• View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-24 22:12:16 »
Daan,

thank you very much for your response.  any idea on how to fix this so I can get back into the program??

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-25 00:17:43 »
> any idea on how to fix this so I can get back into the program??

Well, it should be specific to that particular database, so, double-click on another database and you should be back into the program. But as to working with this particular database, I don't have much information to go by. Make sure that you have full read/write access to the database. Is it in a plain non-system folder on a regular local disk? Does running ThumbsPlus as Admin help? Do you get the error straight away or only after a long time, maybe after energy saving has kicked in?

wingfield

• View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-25 18:52:06 »
Daan,

I really appreciate the time you take to answer questions on this forum.

>> Well, it should be specific to that particular database, so, double-click on another database and you should be back into the program.
yep, can get back in.

>> But as to working with this particular database, I don't have much information to go by. Make sure that you have full read/write access to the database.
correct.  remember that I got into this database successfully on prior attempt.

>>Is it in a plain non-system folder on a regular local disk?
TP, or the database?  TP is in "program files".  the db is MYSql, and is also in "program files"

>> Does running ThumbsPlus as Admin help?
nope.  same set of error messages.

>> Do you get the error straight away or only after a long time, maybe after energy saving has kicked in?
straight away.

any other thoughts?

David

wingfield

• View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-25 18:56:01 »
Daan,

on the home network version, how does that work?  they just upgraded me, so perhaps I'm missing something.  I took a look at the db in HeidiSQL and I see a table called userid.  it's populated with a user; but this is not the user that I'm using to connect with ODBC.  are these the same, or is this userid table for use by the program to handle the 5 concurrent logins?  when I first got in successfully, I never had to enter a user.  odd.

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-25 20:49:45 »
> the db is MYSql, and is also in "program files"

If you have Windows Vista or higher, files in Program Files are read-only. Does that explain it?

wingfield

• View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-25 21:00:48 »
so you're suggesting I reinstall in a different directory?  TP defaults to the program files directory.  I guess I can try this; but I'd think Cerious wouldn't default install to a directory that doesn't work??  odd.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #8 on: 2016-01-25 21:35:43 »
> TP defaults to the program files directory.  

For itself, but not for its settings and default database (though this depends on the O/S and installation scenario).

No need to reinstall ThumbsPlus, but I'd try copying the MySQL database files to a new folder (outside Program Files) and updating the ODBC connection as necessary.

Sjoinca

• View Profile
v10 error message
« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-11 09:02:40 »
> Daan,
>
> on the home network version, how does that work?  they just upgraded me, so perhaps I'm missing something.  I took a look at the db in HeidiSQL and I see a table called userid.  it's populated with a user; but this is not the user that I'm using to connect with ODBC.  are these the same, or is this userid table for use by the program to handle the 5 concurrent logins?  when I first got in successfully, I never had to enter a user.  odd.
>
> David

table userid?   That table name is not in my database.  I have activeusers, username and usersettings tables among the other required tables.  I do not use the network version, but I would assume either you did not have a completely successful conversion from V7 to V9 (unknown table userid) or maybe your activeusers table has 5 entries of past successful logins and upon past program exits/crashes, those entries were not removed from the table.  Try clearing the data from activeusers (using a copy of your database) and see if it works.
First though, try to create a fresh V9/V10 database using the V9/V10 scripts to verify that everything is set up correctly and you can create thumbnails and log in and out of your network version.