Author Topic: ThumbsPlus v9 SP2 beta3 & MS-SQL Server 2005 SP4  (Read 2950 times)

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
ThumbsPlus v9 SP2 beta3 & MS-SQL Server 2005 SP4
« on: 2014-11-22 10:42:31 »
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit with all patches applied
MS-SQL Server 2005 SP4 with all patches applied

Ever since upgrading to TP9 I have been unable to get TP9 to function with MS-SQL Server 2005 SP4. Today I ran 'thumbs9sp2b3.exe' but same problem exists. The script I used for the DB creation is ‘Thumbs9_mssql.sql’ script (with NO editing done by me) which I downloaded from the Cerious website.

The ODBC connection I created tests “Successfully”, even after the upgrade to 'thumbs9sp2b3.exe'; however since that  point I have been unable to find any MS-SQL documentation for SQL Server 2005 in reference to ThumbsPlus, therefore, from this point forward I performed the following:
Database | Advanced | Convert/Client Server and pointed to my DSN. Then I CHECKED - Bypass user check (V7 users will crash) and I CHECKED - Open converted database. Within a couple of minutes at most, which seemed odd to me as my current ‘Thumbs.tpdb8’ database is 1.85GB and a conversion process should have taken longer, it opened the following ‘Conversion failed!’ message: HELP!

(see attached 'ThumbsPlus 9 SP2 Beta3 Conversion Error.jpg'

If anybody can provide me with any assistance whatsoever, It would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

chow 4 now;

Bryan Walker

PS: Up until now I had successfully been running TP5.01 & MS-SQL Server 2005 on completely different computers so I know there is no potential of anything left over that could be causing issues now. With that DB creation I utilized the 'thumbs_mssql2000.sql' which I also downloaded from the Cerious website.

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-23 10:39:59 »
After much ado and numerous errors/research I was finally able to get TP9SP2B3 to connect, open and build thumbnails in my MS-SQL Server 2005 SP4 DB!

However, it's only 5.4% completed at this point so who knows....it might still crash?

Happy Sunday everybody!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-23 11:08:22 »
Good to hear, I hope everything will work out well. Do you recall the steps that did the trick for you - did you have to change the script, make a new data source,..?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-23 12:16:52 »
Yes, that's exactly what I ended up doing.

Even though the ODBC DSN connected to the DB successfully, TP still couldn't create thumbnails. This lead me to realize the script that created the DB wasn't catered to my install; specifically this message: ThumbsPlus Message <5015-8036>.

While the <5015> code provided me with no "real" insight and only indicated "The "error_message" text will contain more detailed information about the specific database error"; I opted to look more into the <8036> code which simply states to see error <8001>.

<8001> = "Error adding volume (serial=, label=; which pretty much spelled it out for me, ThumbsPlus couldn't create thumbnails as it didn't know the hard disk drives volume label.

Therefore, I reopened the Thumbs9_mssql.sql script in SQL Analyzer and using  Edit | Find and Replace | Find in Files, I changed "Look in" to Current Document making sure my cursor was in the Thumbs9_mssql.sql, I "Volume" as the "Find what" criteria and clicked "Find All". The results returned the following:

\Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Projects\SQLQuery1.sql(114):CREATE TABLE [Volume]

\Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Projects\SQLQuery1.sql(132):        FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES   [Volume]([idVol]) ON DELETE CASCADE       ,

\Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Projects\SQLQuery1.sql(277):insert into "ThumbsPlusDatabase" values ('volume_match', '3');         -- Network name | No CD serial numbers

I then placed my cursor at the front of the first item found and clicked the SLQ button "Go to the location on the current line" which took me to:
CREATE TABLE [Volume] in the script, leaving the brackets in tact I placed the volume label of my hard disk drive in between the brackets.

Next, I clicked on the SQL button "Go to the next location in the list" which took me to CREATE TABLE [Path] - and more specifically to FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES   [Volume]([idVol]) ON DELETE CASCADE       , - here I was somewhat confused so I left it alone.

Again, I clicked on the SQL button "Go to the next location in the list" which took me to: insert into "ThumbsPlusDatabase" values ('volume_match', '3');         -- Network name | No CD serial numbers. As in the previous step I was a bit confused so I left it alone.

Parsed the script successfully and then Executed the script which of course returned some invalid entries as some of the script entries were already present. Saved the script as a different name (just in case); closed MS-SQL Server Management Studio and renamed my existing C:\ProgramData\ThumbsPlus\Thumbs.tpdb8 to Thumbs.tpdb8.bak so ThumbsPlus9 would prompt for the New Database Creation or Connect to ODBC Data Source. Selecting Connect to ODBC Data Source and selecting the same DSN previously created allowed for a successful connection. Attempted to create a single thumbnail and it was successful, therefore, I went to the top of my hierarchy and selected the top folder and selected "Make thumbnails in tree". It is now at 19.5% and seems to be creating thumbnails properly at this point.

Re-opening the newly saved script and searching for my hard disk drives volume label, the two entries in which I left alone are now populated with my HDD volume label, so apparently SQL Server 2005 took it upon itself to propagate the HDD volume label to the necessary locations in the script.

Hopefully, this information may be of assistance to others who choose to utilize MS-SQL Server 2005 with TP9 in the future.