Author Topic: Normalize Orientation Not Working  (Read 2927 times)

billbremer

• View Profile
Normalize Orientation Not Working
« on: 2014-06-14 22:57:15 »
Can anyone else confirm this bug which has been around for many versions now?  

Use TP viewer to view a jpeg image from an i-phone that was taken in "portrait" (vertical) orientation.
The orientation of the image, when viewed in TP viewer, appears to be proper (objects are "right side up").
Use "Save As" in TP viewer to save a copy of the file with a new name.
Notice that the image in the new file is rotated 90 degrees.

TP shows the value of the Image Orientation field in the metadata to be "Right-top"  Selecting "Top-left" in the drop-down for this field and saving the metadata doesn't seem to alter the Image Orientation metadata.  Right clicking on the Thumbnail and selecting Quick Process, "Normalize Orientation" doesn't seem to do anything either.  

If I use the Normalize Orientation command in TP version 7 on this same file, the metadata orientation changes to Top-left and the image now appears properly oriented in both versions of TP.

I would appreciate confirmation of this behavior.  I would also appreciate a fix to the software so the Normalize Orientation command works as it does in TP7.

billbremer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-15 19:56:16 »
The help screen for Options, Preferences, Metadata states:  

"Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation

...Note that ThumbsPlus always resets the orientation to Top-Left (the default) when saving images...."

This doesn't appear to be the case on my system.

j

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-25 12:49:53 »
I use an external tool to fix rotation.  After I've oriented the photos the way I want, I run exiftool in that folder to fix the orientation.

If I do anything else, I end up with photos that display funny after I've posted them online.

It's clunky and annoying, but it works.

Good luck