Author Topic: Upgrade from 7 to 10?  (Read 11556 times)

HebAronson

• View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« on: 2016-02-15 04:57:54 »
What are your experiences upgrading from 7 to 10? Is it worth it?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-02-15 17:49:24 »
> What are your experiences upgrading from 7 to 10? Is it worth it?

Cerious has solved a boatload of bugs going from v8 > v9 > v10. I think v10 is highly functional and reliable for the large majority of users. Personally, I find myself using v10 exclusively, although I still have v7 (which I preferred to v8/v9) as well. If you are a keyboard-oriented user I can understand some of Gary's frustrations, but I am a mouse user for the most part and I prefer v10's interface. The main benefits of v10, to me, are its unicode filename support and the filter box that lets me quickly switch the thumbnail display from one set of filetypes to another.

In your other message you asked about viewing animated gifs, I don't think that behaviour has changed from v7 to v10.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mschnell

• View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #2 on: 2016-03-02 18:23:07 »
AFAIK there is no tool (yet) to convert a TP7 database in a TP10 database of a type that does not feature the 2GB limit.

-Michael

macsnapper

• View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #3 on: 2016-03-02 19:15:25 »
but if you are not converting rather creating new database in v10 is there still a 2GB limit? (I thought this was the reason for changing to python sql etc)

Gary

• View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #4 on: 2016-03-02 19:53:00 »
Regardless of the TP version ... if you choose the access database (Thumbs.tpdb8) you will have to endure the 2GB limit.  If you choose the SQlite database (Thumbs.tpdb8s) you will not have the 2GB limit.  Hope this helps.

macsnapper

• View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #5 on: 2016-03-02 20:06:31 »
Thank you, that does help. I'm inching towards v10, just so dependent on v7.

mschnell

• View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #6 on: 2016-03-06 17:16:15 »
That is not "upgrading", though :)

-Michael

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Upgrade from 7 to 10?
« Reply #7 on: 2016-03-24 14:50:51 »
ThumbsPlus v10 gives you the option to create an MS Access database without the 2 GB limit!

Out of the box the ThumbsPlus v10 database has a 2 Gb limit. HOWEVER, for quite some time there have been many ways to configure and/or use other database options that will allow for a larger size capacity EVEN when using this default MS Access database.

** This MS Access database can store millions upon millions of thumbnails.

** ThumbsPlus v10 also gives this option WHEN converting a v7 database to the v10 MS Access database!

** If you have a database that has reached the default size limit of 2 Gb's a Python script can be used to greatly increase the database size capacity.

(In v10 SP1 BETA build 4007 this script is included in the ADVANCED DATABASE options.)

** Configuring a new database using the option to "store thumbnails in files" increases the size capacity giving you the room to thumbnail millions upon millions  of image files!

** When creating a new database (DATABASE>NEW) you will check this option to "store thumbnails in files" as this is how you create a database with much more space for your data. I have attached an image that illustrates your database choices further.

** If you think that you will be thumbnailing terabytes upon terabytes of images and think that more than millions upon millions of images will need to be thumbnailed then you very well may want to consider using another ODBC database such as SQL Server.

There is more information about other Client/Server database options here:
http://www.cerious.com/databases.shtml