Author Topic: Cannot sort thumbnails  (Read 4224 times)

MCC

• View Profile
Cannot sort thumbnails
« on: 2011-06-12 17:54:11 »
I am running Thumbsplus 8, Service Pack 1. Among several problems with this software, the most difficult is inconsistent and erratic sorting. Specifically:

1. Keyboard shortcuts do not work at all. The have never worked in v8. They used to work fine in v 7.

2. If I click on Window ->Sort and then use the drop downs to select a sort criteria, it sometimes works, but usually does not.  Thumbs usually stay sorted by name with no change regardless of what I select. Sometimes, however, the sort does work.

3. I get screwy sort results in some cases. For example, I just did a sort by file type and the thumbs are now arranged like this: 1- PSD, 1- TIF, 1- DNG, 3 - TIF's, 806 - DNG's, 4- TIF's, 3 -PSD's, and lastly, 3- TIF's. That's not sorted. That's scrambled. I can see no order to how these images are appearing - not by date, time, etc.

4. In some cases if I select a sort and it does not work, and then exit and restart the program, the selected sort will be applied. Usually, the selected sort is gone and the drop downs under Window - Sort are blank.

5. Window - Sort -Descending does work, as does the keyboard short cut.

Any idea about how to fix this? I'm probably going back to v7 since, since being able to quickly sort through a day's photos is basic to my workflow.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, if that matters.

Thanks .

hfremuth

• View Profile
Cannot sort thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-13 11:27:40 »
> 1. Keyboard shortcuts do not work at all. The have never worked in v8. They used to work fine in v 7.

Press CTRL-Q and go to the new Keyboard tab. This is where you can customize the wazoo out of pretty much any keyboard shortcuts. There are some (but not all) shortcuts available for the thumbails view panel.

> 2. If I click on Window ->Sort and then use the drop downs to select a sort criteria, it sometimes works, but usually does not.  Thumbs usually stay sorted by name with no change regardless of what I select. Sometimes, however, the sort does work.

Works fine on my systems here, but there is a disconnect between controls. You can actually select the sort order via the menu bar (Window -> sort) or via the dropdown controls right above the Thumbnails panels. Both ways should show the same, but they are different. I've added this as a [msg=474]confirmed case[/msg] to be fixed in a future release.

MCC

• View Profile
Cannot sort thumbnails
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-13 17:40:57 »
> Works fine on my systems here, but there is a disconnect between controls. You can actually select the sort order via the menu bar (Window -> sort) or via the dropdown controls right above the Thumbnails panels. Both ways should show the same, but they are different. I've added this as a [msg=474]confirmed case[/msg] to be fixed in a future release.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply - in several months of using the program, I honestly never noticed the dropdown control above the thumbnails. THAT control works fine - which is great. The control in the menu bar does not work on my system.

> Press CTRL-Q and go to the new Keyboard tab. This is where you can customize the wazoo out of pretty much any keyboard shortcuts. There are some (but not all) shortcuts available for the thumbails view panel.

I'll look at getting that set up - are the old ALT- # shortcuts of TP 7 no longer in effect? They are listed in the help document, but I'll look at manually configuring the ones I use.

Thanks again -

MCC