Author Topic: Sort by similarity  (Read 3298 times)

wjdaniel

• View Profile
Sort by similarity
« on: 2014-05-04 11:09:35 »
No matter what I do, I cannot get Thumbs9 3935 to sort by similarity. This feature is very important to me. Fortunately, I found that I had an old installation of Thumbs7 still on the hard drive, and I'm using that now for the sort-by-similarity function only. I have searched the forum, and can't find a way to fix this in Thumbs 9. Any help very much appreciated.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sort by similarity
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-04 19:52:45 »
> No matter what I do, I cannot get Thumbs9 3935 to sort by similarity.

Is "Options | Preferences | Thumbnails | Max File size for MD5 Computation" set high enough to include the files that you want to sort? If not, set it to a high enough value, re-make your thumbnails and try again.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

wjdaniel

• View Profile
Sort by similarity
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-06 09:29:12 »
I saw that in another thread and then checked it. The number doesn't need to be changed. It's the same (default) number as in Thumbs7 -- but sort by similarity works in Thumbs7 but not in Thumbs9. Sort by similarity is a feature I use repeatedly, and since I feel I can't live without it, I now have versions 9 and 7 working simultaneously, with Thumbs7 used for only that one purpose.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sort by similarity
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-06 11:10:34 »
    [*]What filetype(s) are you trying to sort?
    [*]Which windows version do you use?
    [*]Are the images in a regular local folder? (not gallery or network)
    [*]How many thumbnails are (roughly) shown for this folder?
    [*]Were all thumbnails made using the same thumbnailing settings (size, sharpening, etc)?
    [*]Were the thumbnails produced using this copy of v9, or imported/converted from an older database?
    [/list]

[*]Have you tried recreating the thumbnails in that folder?
      [*]Have you tried to first select the image that you're most interested in seeing duplicates of, and then resorting the display?
      [/list]
      I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

wjdaniel

• View Profile
      Sort by similarity
      « Reply #4 on: 2014-05-06 15:45:22 »
      Thanks, Daan. Creating new thumbnails did the trick. I never had to do that in Thumbs7. I did always click on the thumbnail I wanted to find similar images of. Thanks again...