Author Topic: Starting thumbsplus after formatting windows  (Read 4473 times)

haniobaid

• View Profile
Starting thumbsplus after formatting windows
« on: 2014-12-06 22:36:57 »
Hello All,

I formatted my windows 7 machine, and after formatting tried to run thumbsplus from the exe file without reinstalling in the hopes it would retain my options and settings. unfortunately it seems to be using the registry instead of the database or an ini file in the install folder to maintain options.

In any case, I setup my database DSN with the same name as before and had thumbsplus connect to it without problems. I have reconfigured the options to the way I like them, but still whenever I start thumbsplus, I get this error message:

--------------------
The ODBC driver registry configuration is incorrect. Would you like ThumbsPlus to attempt to repair this automatically (requires administrator priviliges).

Yes / No
(buttons)

Thumbsplus Message <5746>
--------------------

Whether I click yes or no the problem isn't fixed, and thumbsplus is running with administrator privileges (run as administrator) did not make a difference. Any hope of fixing this without re-installing and losing configuration options again? I will be happy to manually edit the registry if you tell me what to edit.

Thanks,

Hani

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-07 06:32:42 »
Do you have created backups of the windows partition?

The ini file is not in the install-folder but, you will find this file and all other Thumbs-Userfiles in the
Configuration folder >c:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\ThumbsPlus\<

The formating-command deletes all data of the partition
So these files should no longer be available.
Registry entries are not used by Thumbs

So you must reinstall ThumbsPlus
The ODBC problem should be solved if Jet or SQLite is used.
Rewrite the Ini file and all other files in the configuration folder from backup.
Hopefully your Databasefile still exist.

Good Luck
Rainer

haniobaid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-07 06:45:00 »
Sorry i did not mean to imply thumbsplus isn't starting. Despite the error, it is starting and connecting to the correct dsn and database and all my data and thumbnails and keywords are there, just this error keeps popping up on startup every time anyway and referencing the registry. The my docs folder is on my c partition where i keep nothing but the os. It is unfortunate thumbsplus stores the config files there. In any case i will look for the config file you mentioned but since the error references registry it seems thumbsplus is using both the file in my docs you mentioned and the registry.

If i can't fix it, i suppose i will have to swallow the bullet and reinstall.

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-07 07:31:43 »
What Kind of Database do you use?

haniobaid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-07 11:56:57 »
Ms sql server

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-07 12:17:17 »
I'm not very familiar with the installation of SQL servers.
However, the SQL Server must first be installed and reported by WIN as dataprovider.
It is not a matter of TP+.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-07 15:28:03 »
In a properly working ThumbsPlus 9 configuration, the location of your main settings is found under Help | System Information | Preferences Path. Among the files stored in that location are:

Thumbs9.ini: Program settings
Thumbs9.typ: Filetype definitions
Thumbs9.config: Main interface config
Thumbs9.vconfig: Viewer interface config

In addition, the database holds a few settings.

Furthermore, you may have batch commands, catalog and web wizard templates, etc. Their locations can be found under Options | Preferences | Schemes & Sets.

The easiest way to carry your TP9 configuration to a new or reformatted system is to back these files up, reinstall the program to the same location as before and then recover these files from your backup.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

haniobaid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-12-07 17:48:04 »
Thanks  for the detailed list Daan. I had never noticed them before.

haniobaid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-12-07 17:52:45 »
Correct, sql server was installed again. However the database  physical files were retained and simply attached after the sql server install. There are no issues on the db side or the dsn. The issue is only in the original installations configuration being merged with the current. Since Daan provided the config files list, i shall try to reinstall thumbsplus fully