Author Topic: jpg viewer  (Read 2648 times)

itsdavid

• View Profile
jpg viewer
« on: 2014-12-25 00:52:24 »
I've worked at this for a long time. Perhaps old age is setting in. For the life of me, I am unable to change how TP views jpg's. I'm tring to change "right click thumbnail" > CONFIGURE FILE TYPE from "Internal" to Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer. For what it's worth, I don't like that I have to individually select the magnification factor, one step at a time, with the Internal viewer.

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
jpg viewer
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-25 10:27:51 »
> I'm tring to change "right click thumbnail" > CONFIGURE FILE TYPE from "Internal" to Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer.

No, please leave "Load Using" at "Internal" for JPGs! This setting defines not just how an image is opened when you press Enter or when you double-click on a thumbnail, it's also used for loading images into batch processes and other functions.

The value below it, for "Edit Using", can be set to any 'Command' including the command that will launch MWPV, but I think it's better to leave it at 'Association' which will open the JPG's in whatever program is associated with JPGs in Windows, which in your case is probably MWPV. From then on, when you press Shift-Enter or Shift-Double-Click on a JPG, that is what it will be opened in.

> For what it's worth, I don't like that I have to individually select the magnification factor, one step at a time, with the Internal viewer.

I don't think you do?! See Options | Preferences | Viewing | Window to configure how and where the viewing window will appear and how it will display the image (scaled to window, fit to width, 1:1, etc). Personally, I use:

Initial window size: Maximized`
Initial Stretching: Reduce Images to window

To browse to the next or previous image, use Space and Backspace.
To exit the viewer press Esc.
To quickly switch between seeing the full image and seeing it at 1:1, press F6.
To quickly switch between windowed viewing and full-screen viewing, press F5.

The benefit of using a maximized window, to me, is that it stays the same size when I browse from one image to the next.

Anyway, if you should still want to use MWPV instead of the internal viewer, and you want it to come up when you press Enter or you double-click on a thumbnail (so, without having to keep Shift pressed down), you can go to Options | Preferences | General and set the 'default action' to 'Edit'. That will open the image in its editor (as defined in its filetype configuration explained above) rather than open it in the internal viewer.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.