Author Topic: Database upgrade  (Read 13879 times)

mschnell

• View Profile
Correction!
« Reply #15 on: 2017-04-01 12:58:47 »
>Oops! Michael, I made a mistake. I mistakenly thought that when you press Shift-Del, the thumbnail record (with keywords, etc) is preserved but only the thumbnail image is stripped from it. This is NOT true - the whole thumbnail record is deleted.

I found this out very soon. so no damage done :)

It in fact would be nice function to be able to delete only the selected Tumbnail jpg from the database and leave the rest of the record in place or - even better - convert selected jpg thumbnails to very tightly compressed versions.

But unfortunately AFAIK, TP7 does not have this feature.

This said, a maybe nice idea would be to do an external program working on the TD4 database, and deletes or converts all jpg thumbnails that are assigned to a dedicated gallery. Supposedly this is a lot easier to do than doing a .TP4 to .TPDB8s converter like I initially was up to.

-Michael

mschnell

• View Profile
Database upgrade
« Reply #16 on: 2017-04-03 19:07:12 »
Hi Daan

Just for the record.

I tried TP10's TD4 conversion option with creating the thumbnail pictures as separate files. This should result in a very small "Access"-type database.

After more than an hour of creating the pictures the process failed with a "database full" error. Obviously the database - which is copied before starting the conversion - is not compacted before enhancing it by the addition of the new TP10 fields.

-Michael

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Database upgrade
« Reply #17 on: 2017-04-03 21:37:12 »
> I tried TP10's TD4 conversion option with creating the thumbnail pictures as separate files. This should result in a very small "Access"-type database.

> After more than an hour of creating the pictures the process failed with a "database full" error. Obviously the database - which is copied before starting the conversion - is not compacted before enhancing it by the addition of the new TP10 fields.

Sorry to hear it.. you'd think that size wouldn't be an issue if you choose to use external thumbnails.

You can probably work around this by making a copy of your TD4 database, setting its thumbnail size to 40x40p (the minimum) and rescanning your images. That should greatly reduce its size.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mschnell

• View Profile
Database upgrade
« Reply #18 on: 2017-04-04 01:15:45 »
>Sorry to hear it.. you'd think that size wouldn't be an issue if you choose to use external thumbnails.

Don't be. This is exactly what I expected, as the process starts b copying the TD4 database file instead of creating an empty new one.

>You can probably work around this by making a copy of your TD4 database, setting its thumbnail size to 40x40p (the minimum) and rescanning your images. That should greatly reduce its size.

I might give that a try. But to be in better control of this process, right now my strategy is to create a program that attaches to the TD4 database and resizes and/pr recompresses with a very high jpg compression rate only those thumbnails that had been included in a predefined gallery.

OTOH I doubt that the database engine in fact instantly will free the space taken by the overridden BOLBs. I suppose only a "compress" process will decrease the databases size.

-Michael

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Database upgrade
« Reply #19 on: 2017-04-04 01:50:48 »
> OTOH I doubt that the database engine in fact instantly will free the space taken by the overridden BOLBs. I suppose only a "compress" process will decrease the databases size.

If I remember correctly, no 'compact' was necessary - but you'll find out soon enough.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mschnell

• View Profile
Re: Database upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 2021-02-05 06:33:27 »
After a long holdoff, waiting for confirmation that TP10 with SQLite 3 works decently fast, several Months, ago I did a Python program that performed the upgrade rather perfectly. It has some specific features that I needed but it easily could be modified to work in a more general way.
Here is the procedure:
 - Scan the files with TP10
 - Have the Python program copy the information stored inm the TP7 database to the TP1ß database

The program works something like this:
 - attach to both databases
 - Identify the files between the two  databases
 - move over information like keywords, galleries, Annotation etc partly including certain conversion for differences between TP7 and TP10-
 - the program features a simple GUI that shows states, problems, etc
 - it can be started multiple times with different  tasks to be done.

We work daily with TP10 and the upgraded database with no problems at all.

If anybody is interested please send me a note to mschnell at bschnell dot de.

-Michael
« Last Edit: 2021-02-05 06:36:19 by mschnell »