Author Topic: Cannot open gif files  (Read 3593 times)

rlh3

• View Profile
Cannot open gif files
« on: 2019-01-24 18:41:52 »
I'm running ThumbsPlus Pro 10 SP2[4015] on Windows 10 and when I double click on the thumbnail of a .gif file, nothing happens.  This install is on a new (to me) computer. Do I need some other helper program to open .GIFs, or have i missed some setting or another when i was installing the program?
They open fine, albeit slowly, in the windows photo viewer.
This does not happen on my other computer.

Thanks

rlh3

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot open gif files
« Reply #1 on: 2019-01-24 19:21:25 »
I'm running ThumbsPlus Pro 10 SP2[4015] on Windows 10 and when I double click on the thumbnail of a .gif file, nothing happens.

Do other file types (jpg, etc) work as expected? Do you actually mean that 'nothing' happens, or do you still get an error message, a flashing view window or something else?

When you right-click on the thumbnail of a GIF file and choose 'Configure File Type', does the 'Load File Using' setting say 'Internal'? (it usually should). There are some GIF-specific settings under Options | File Loading | GIF, but I'm not sure if any of those could explain your problem viewing them. Have you tried multiple GIFs from multiple sources?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

rlh3

• View Profile
Re: Cannot open gif files
« Reply #2 on: 2019-01-24 19:48:47 »
All other file types work just fine.  When I click (or click multiple times) on the thumbnail for the gif, the only thing that happens is that the name of the file is highlighted.

Going into File Type Configuration solved the problem.  For future reference, the settings i used are:

Extension: gif
Equivalent to type: none
Category: Image
Class: Raster
Load file using: None

Thank you, Daan van Rooijen, for pointing me in the correct direction to solve this problem.

rlh3

edited to correct my lousy typing...