Author Topic: Displaying dimension of video files  (Read 5922 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
Displaying dimension of video files
« on: 2016-01-31 07:50:35 »
I've had to rebuild my database and I have to reconfigure some settings. I remember most of my old settings, and how I configured them, but I cannot seem to get the dimensions of my video files to show. I believe I was able to do that in the past.

I've checked Dimensions under Options->Preferences->Thumbnails View, and it shows for picture files, but not for video files. But if I right-click and select properties->details, I see the information I want.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-31 09:09:35 »
It works for me, but I seem to remember that some video properties are not registered properly when you thumbnail multiple videos at the same time. Have you tried thumbnailing a single video (select it and press F3), or thumbnailing a few by selecting them and pressing INS (which Tags them - but tagging also creates a thumbnail if there was no thumbnail yet)?

For me, thumbnailing multiple video files doesn't work at all, so I always use the INS method. And as said, I do get to see the dimensions when I do it that way.

When we discussed the problem of thumbnailing multiple videos (see [msg=4496]here[/msg]), it turned out that there were variations of the problem depending on which codec is used. Some users reported that (like you now) they did get thumbnails but not the dimensions.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-31 12:09:01 »
Daan, you're the man! :-)

I had picked up a few TP tricks from this forum, but I had missed the INS trick!

Still waiting for TP to work its way through 4000 video files, but so far it looks promising!

Thanks!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-31 12:11:21 »
Remember to untag (Ctrl-INS) them afterwards, or they'll all have a silly little flag! :-)

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-31 16:16:44 »
Thanks!

I was a bit too optimistic. It takes longer time than the normal thumbing, especially for bigger files. (I've never understood why it should take longer to thumb a big file!). So I get "Not responding" messages all the time. Sometimes it starts again, but sometimes I lose patience and restart. So it takes a long time to get through 4000 files. :-(

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-31 16:45:35 »
> It takes longer time than the normal thumbing, especially for bigger files. (I've never understood why it should take longer to thumb a big file!).

It may depend on the thumbnail options in Options | File Loading | Movie, and on the codecs that you use. I use 'FFDShow Tryouts', myself, and I've never had any time-outs. I think TP10 creates approximately 50 movie thumbnails per minute for me on a 5 year old PC. FFDShow is a little outdated though, and it does occasionally skip a movie file that it can't read.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-31 16:54:29 »
What do you use for thumbnail option? I used to use first non-black, but I found that that gave me a lot of black thumbs, so now I use the 5% option. Do you think that is what slows me down?

I use the K-lite package with default settings.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-31 17:37:48 »
> What do you use for thumbnail option?

I use 72%. Don't ask me why, I just figured that that would be the position in a movie where the most action is :-)

> Do you think that is what slows me down?

No, because my weird setting doesn't cause a slowdown either. So, I suspect that it's the codec. K-Lite probably includes one or more utilities that can show and change which codec is used for which (type of) file. If not, [link=http://www.headbands.com/gspot/]GSpot[/link] and NirSoft's '[link=http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html]Installed Codecs[/link]' may be helpful.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-02-01 03:26:27 »
Thanks for the help!

I'm trying to find out which videos cause the problem. Seems that SOME of the wmv files make T+ hang.

I'll try to install FFDshow. Do you have to configure it in any way to make sure T+ uses it?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-01 03:50:15 »
I think FFDShow is also part of some K-Lite packs, so maybe you already have it.
It should work out of the box for most formats (a message pops up when a program tries to play video for the first time), but you can run the 'Video Decoder Configuration' (from your Start Menu) to define which encoding formats will be handled by FFDShow.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-02-01 17:53:30 »
Thanks for all the help! I've more or less sorted it out. I installed FDshow, even though I probably already had it as part of K-Lite as you said. That helped with some files, but there were still 10 recalcitrant files. They were all wmv files, and when I used Mediainfo on them, I saw that they all used a VC-1 codec. All the wmv files that used WMV1, 2 or 3 were OK. But the strange thing was that some of the VC-1 files thumbed OK.

I then opened FDshow's configuration utility, and I saw that VC-1 was listed as disabled. I assume that means that some other program handled it. I then instead selected libavcodec, and they all thumbed like a dream!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-02-01 18:50:33 »
> I then opened FDshow's configuration utility, and I saw that VC-1 was listed as disabled. I assume that means that some other program handled it. I then instead selected libavcodec, and they all thumbed like a dream!

Excellent, yes that is the way to do it! Do you get better thumbnailing speed as well now?

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-02-01 19:04:08 »
Oh, yes. Faster.

But there are still a lot of things I don't understand.

What's the difference in T+ between thumbing multiple files, vs just do F3 on one of them or Ins?

Why did some of the ones with the VC-1 coded give me trouble, but not others?

Not quite sure what K-Lite was using earlier. Either LAV or some Microsoft stuff, I think.

I just installed the Full K-Lite package instead of the Basic. The Full one has FFdshow. Then I switch between different ones to test.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-02-01 20:10:15 »
> What's the difference in T+ between thumbing multiple files, vs just do F3 on one of them or Ins?

I wish I knew, it has caused a lot of headaches! Cerious is aware of the problem but they haven't managed to fix it yet. When you use INS, you are effectively thumbnailing a lot of files on a one-by-one basis and somehow that works better/different than thumbnailing multiple files in series.

> Why did some of the ones with the VC-1 coded give me trouble, but not others?

Codecs can be buggy too :-)