Author Topic: Errors attempting to install any new version of ThumbsPlus  (Read 2938 times)

JohnInCC

• View Profile
I get the following error when I attempt to install you MSI file to C:\Program Files\ThumbsPlus9 (this folder contains a registered copy of v9 SP1 build 3938):

"An installation package for the product ThumbsPlus cannot be found.  Try again using a valid copy of the installation package 'thumbsplus9sp1setup.msi'."

I can't find this file on my C: drive or on your website, and there's only one reference to it in your support forums which suggests uninstalling/reinstalling.  My problem with this is that there's no entry to ThumbsPlus in the Windows "Uninstall or change a program", nor is there an uninstaller program in the ThumbsPlus directory.

Thank you for a prompt reply.

Best,
John

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Errors attempting to install any new version of ThumbsPlus
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-26 23:28:13 »
If the installer can't uninstall your previous version, and the 'Uninstall ThumbsPlus' entry in your Start Menu doesn't work, and you can't uninstall it from Control Panel | Software either, then the Microsoft Fix It utility may help: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

If the installer still won't run after you have run MS Fix It, then the only known remedy (on this forum and not suggested by Cerious) is to manually delete the files of the previous version, and to edit the registry manually and remove all entries pertaining to ThumbsPlus from it.. (it's probably just one entry that needs to be removed, but I don't think it has ever been identified here.  Also, if you have to resort to this, I'd suggest making backups of everything that you're deleting)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.