Author Topic: Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?  (Read 3191 times)

Renpi

• View Profile
Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?
« on: 2014-02-01 12:55:06 »
Since V8.1/V9 does not support (yet) Keywords to Metadata as V.7 did, I wanted to go back. Unfortunately, and database export (to Textfile) from V8.1 cannot be read by V7 (Exception). (V9ß crashes during export).

The database has about 50.000 picture and is approx. 1G

Any ideas?

Best Regards
Frank

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-02 05:50:20 »
Unfortunately there is no easy way back; I have tried.

The differences in the databases are too great, especially thumbnail image storage.

The td4 format from TP7 uses 3 fields (metric1, metric2 and metric3) to store the thumbnail image, but tpdb8 from TP8 onwards uses only 2 fields, and if you have thumbnails in files they aren't in the database at all. I haven't found a way of converting this.

However when you converted your td4 file to tpdb8 it should have left your td4 file intact, so unless you have done a lot of work, you can just go back to the original file.

Renpi

• View Profile
Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-02 06:05:01 »
That's what I also noticed. Unfortunately I changed to TP8 several thousands pictures ago. Going back to any TP7 previous database backup is no option.

Currently, I'm on my way using MS-Access to generate a plain textfile with all information (keywords, galleries, annotations) I need. This textfile I will use to add to the metadata. (Current plan is probably using exiftool).

This consumes still a lot of time, but I assume less than tagging again.

Thanks anyway for replying

Best Regards
Frank

> Unfortunately there is no easy way back; I have tried.
>
> The differences in the databases are too great, especially thumbnail image storage.
>
> The td4 format from TP7 uses 3 fields (metric1, metric2 and metric3) to store the thumbnail image, but tpdb8 from TP8 onwards uses only 2 fields, and if you have thumbnails in files they aren't in the database at all. I haven't found a way of converting this.
>
> However when you converted your td4 file to tpdb8 it should have left your td4 file intact, so unless you have done a lot of work, you can just go back to the original file.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-02 09:08:38 »
> Currently, I'm on my way using MS-Access to generate a plain textfile with all information (keywords, galleries, annotations) I need. This textfile I will use to add to the metadata. (Current plan is probably using exiftool).

Or: Image | Batch Edit Metadata to add the keywords and annotations to the files' metadata? You could use keywords to add the names of galleries that images belong to (i.e. go to a gallery and add an appropriate keyword to all images in it). Then thumbnail in v7, at the same time copying keywords and annotations to the database. Then select all images that have a specific 'gallery'-keyword and create a gallery for them.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Renpi

• View Profile
Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-02 10:03:26 »
> > Currently, I'm on my way using MS-Access to generate a plain textfile with all information (keywords, galleries, annotations) I need. This textfile I will use to add to the metadata. (Current plan is probably using exiftool).
>
> Or: Image | Batch Edit Metadata to add the keywords and annotations to the files' metadata? You could use keywords to add the names of galleries that images belong to (i.e. go to a gallery and add an appropriate keyword to all images in it). Then thumbnail in v7, at the same time copying keywords and annotations to the database. Then select all images that have a specific 'gallery'-keyword and create a gallery for them.

Thank you for that - I investigated a couple of weeks to find that option - I have no idea, why I overlooked it.

There are also some threads here about batch/metadata but I didn't find a hint. This will solve my problem - and save a lot of nights :-)

Thanks again, best Regards.
Frank

cj47

Back from v9/8.1 to v.7?
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-05 17:24:20 »
Gotta love all these newer and improved software versions that are worse than what they replace.
I guess these people take M$'s lead; more bloat is better even though it usually isn't.