Author Topic: Assign Metadata to multiple files (V9beta3)  (Read 3364 times)

Renpi

• View Profile
Assign Metadata to multiple files (V9beta3)
« on: 2014-01-18 07:30:10 »
Hi,

after trying and studying postings here, it seems to be not possible, to assign metadata to a multiple seclection of files. It seems that only the first file is updated with the metadata, if multiple files are selected.

Is there any other chance to do that, e.g. a script or a work-around?

Best Regards
Frank

jurgen2mad

« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-14 16:31:22 »
I am struggling with the metadata editor a lot. I can conly have one line in the batch job. it will not execute multiple lines (that means I have to create in my case 10 different jobs which I have to run against each of my folders (in my case this is 10x30= 300 batch jobs of different duration (not very confortable).

I ran one uopdate job against the top folder (56000 pictures) which crashed after 15h not letting me know which pictures have been done and which still need to be executed.

Currently the only stable way is to do one line batch job entry, save it and then execute it multiple times - every other attempt such as mutliple lines in the job, load multiple jobs, deleta a line in the job causes the system to behave unreliable)

I will also try to log this with support. I wanted to buy the new version,b ut with this significant flaw I will not and stay with Version 7.

Cheers
Jürgen

jefrs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-17 19:11:55 »
Assigning metadata to multiple files in TP9sp1

I can, one time, write the metadata to multiple files. I cannot repeat the same actions by saving and reloading the metadata file (.tp_meta)

If I have saved the metadata file then when I reload it, only every other line is read in, only the even-numbered steps (e.g. open the file in Notepad).
This is TP9sp1 in Win 8 64-bit. It behaved differently on XPsp3 32-bit, there it would simply crash the program.

I shall try a work-around of placing dummy/duplicate instructions on the odd-numbered lines. This is not a fix, this is a bodge.

I for one need a stable reliable batch metadata editor that can write multiple lines of metadata (IPTC) to many files at once.
I usually write the same stuff and so a batch file is needed.

The batch editor in TP7 had a few shortcomings, it would not write all the necessary data, but it did work. I am not sure TP7 will even run on Win 8.

Help! Somebody please fix the batch metadata editor?

jefrs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-17 20:02:26 »
The dummy duplicate lines did not work but resulted in an "unable to write" error message.

This is such a shame because it completely cripples TP9.

jefrs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-18 14:51:57 »
Ok, TP7 /does/ run under Win8 64-bit very nicely.

TP9 I notice also damages the metadata so that PhotoFun can no longer tell me what camera settings were used (probably in the Manufacturer Info) but TP7 does not do this.

So it is back to TP7 for me. What a waste of milk.

soothsayer99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-04-30 14:21:16 »
Using ThumbsPlus Version 9 SP2 Build 3946. I'm experiencing what you've experienced, with incomprehensible functioning with saved metadata batch files. I can't seem to get the same result more than one time, the saved profiles don't bring up the presumably same operations, and I can't execute more than one action at a time. I also get crashes with one saved profile that attempted 2 operations.

Is this feature completely broken?

jefrs, do you know if T7 can be made to run in Windows 8.1? I've found that most features I used in T7 simply don't work in T9.