Author Topic: Can't Uninstall Previous Version  (Read 3076 times)

willic

• View Profile
Can't Uninstall Previous Version
« on: 2013-08-02 11:45:55 »
When trying to install ThumbsPlus 9 I get a message saying that "Version 8 and earlier must be uninstalled manually." There is no sign of a previous version in "add or remove programs". There are no previous ThumbsPlus files that can be found on this computer. I have tried several times to get a reply from Cerious but it has become obvious that they don't care about their customers once they get their money.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-02 12:08:21 »
> There are no previous ThumbsPlus files that can be found on this computer.

I remember having the same problem and I think I solved it by downloading (from http://www.cerious.com/archive.shtml) and running the v8 installer, telling it to remove v8, and then installing v9 again. But knowing myself I probably also edited the registry to remove any seemingly relevant references to ThumbsPlus 8, so I'm not sure what eventually did the trick.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

willic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-02 13:42:04 »
I tried running the TP8 installation. It did not give me the option of uninstalling. I thought that I would go ahead and install but it stopped with a error box that said simply "Error". No error number, no further information.

After this the program said "ThumbsPlus Setup is complete." and below that "The InstallAware Wizard has failed:"Fatal error during installation". Please check your settings and try again."

I tried running the TP8 installation again and this time used the option to put everything in the same folder, which it called "old style". This worked. I now have ThumbsPlus 8 working. I hesitate to uninstall this when it is working but I will try it and perhaps it will get rid of the registry entries that are preventing the version 9 install.

I really appreciate the advice. Cerious Support just ignores me.

Bill

willic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-02 14:13:29 »
After uninstalling version 8, the version 9 install ran until it broke down on "Error Could not access network location \Odbc. I ran it again and tried the "uninstall" option. This time it said "The InsatllAware Wizard has failed: "The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel" Please check your settings and try again.

They must mean local support personnel as Cerious has no support personnel.

I was looking back at my one way correspondence with Cerious Support. They closed my case after three weeks without ever sending a reply.