Author Topic: paintshop pro  (Read 3997 times)

shd

paintshop pro
« on: 2017-10-21 10:07:42 »
Hi, does anyone know how to get tp10 to show thumbnails for paintshop pro x8? (the .pspimage ones) I have win10 and they show fine in win explorer (I think because i have sagethumbs installed)but not in tp10, the old .psp show fine but not the new type, is there a way round it as they show in windows ok? or some way of getting an image via the clipboard?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
paintshop pro
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-21 10:16:20 »
> Hi, does anyone know how to get tp10 to show thumbnails for paintshop pro x8? (the .pspimage ones) I have win10 and they show fine in win explorer (I think because i have sagethumbs installed)but not in tp10, the old .psp show fine but not the new type, is there a way round it as they show in windows ok? or some way of getting an image via the clipboard?

Thumbnailing via the clipboard is always an option simply by copying the image to the clipboard (in PSP) and then using Thumbnail | Make From Clipboard in TP10 (with that same image file selected).

However, you may be able to get it to work using just TP10 by right-clicking on a .pspimage file, picking 'Configure Type' and then setting 'Load Using' to Polyimagepro.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

shd

paintshop pro
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-21 13:20:36 »
Hi, many thanks for quick response - the copy/paste does work, tho I have hundreds of files in dozens of folders so not a brilliant option, the configure does not work (assuming I understood correctly) your right click method only offers 'poly image' not polyimagepro, I tried to add/edit the type choosing image, raster, poly image but no dice sadly. If the sagethumbs has some sort of plugin for windows explorer is it possible to get tp10 to use that?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
paintshop pro
« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-21 14:44:59 »
> your right click method only offers 'poly image' not polyimagepro,

Yes, that's correct actually.

> I tried to add/edit the type choosing image, raster, poly image but no dice sadly.

It seems to work fine here, but I only have a few .pspimage files from a very old version of Paintshop Pro. I suspect that Poly Image doesn't support your newer version.

> If the sagethumbs has some sort of plugin for windows explorer is it possible to get tp10 to use that?

No, I don't think so.

Have you checked if PSP functions as an OLE server? It used to in the past, so there's a good chance that it still does. In the file type definition in ThumbsPlus, change Load Using to OLE and see if there's something PSP-related in the dropdown list to its right. If there are multiple options, you can try them all (well, one by one).

If that works, the quickest way to generate those hundreds of thumbnails is to launch PSP and to keep it running in the background whilst you thumbnail those images in ThumbsPlus. That way, PSP doesn't have to be re-launched for each thumbnail.

shd

paintshop pro
« Reply #4 on: 2017-10-21 16:43:18 »
Hi Daan, I tried the OLE - just a black shape, BUT searching round other forums I found psp thumbnail handler at botproductions.com and yes! it provides thumbs for tp10 as well as file explorer - thankyou for your suggestions it made me try things and search hard, hopefully if someone else has a problem they will see this.
Sheila

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
paintshop pro
« Reply #5 on: 2017-10-21 17:19:21 »
Glad to hear that you got it to work! I'm not quite sure how a shell extension can help TP10 to create thumbnails though.. did it just work after you installed PSP Thumbnail Handler?

shd

paintshop pro
« Reply #6 on: 2017-10-21 18:56:14 »
Yes! I had restarted pc after trying several different things (you never know!) and after installing this and restarting then I was able to right click make selected (and if I rescan a folder thumbnails). Just hoping the fall update of win10 won't lose it!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
paintshop pro
« Reply #7 on: 2017-10-21 19:18:09 »
Thanks Sheila, that's good to know!