Author Topic: Next / Prev Image  (Read 3450 times)

CobaltBlue

• View Profile
Next / Prev Image
« on: 2016-10-17 14:00:48 »
How do I change the key mapping for moving to the Next/Prev image when viewing an image?

The natural keys are the left/right arrow keys, or even the mouse wheel. I can see that the default is the space-bar for next and (gasp!) backspace for previous.  I "gasp" because in most programs the Backspace is used for delete or undo, neither of which are my intention, so it makes it very uncomfortable to use TP.

I'm not asking for the defaults to be changed, but simply to know the steps needed to change the key mapping to my preference.

Looking at the forums I see this question has been asked, repeatedly, for the past 5-6 years. I haven't seen an answer from Cerious; the only response is from other users: "Can't do it. We'll see if it changes in a future version..."

I hope that this has been resolved. Can someone point me to the setting/ini file I need to update?

Thanks,

-Steve

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Next / Prev Image
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-17 17:36:58 »
> How do I change the key mapping for moving to the Next/Prev image when viewing an image?

In the viewer's menu: View | Customize | Tab:Keyboard | Category:File. Not all assignments are possible, but I tried '[' and ']' and that worked fine.

> The natural keys are the left/right arrow keys, or even the mouse wheel.

No. Not all keyboards even have (easily accessible) arrow keys, which disqualifies them as default keys for core navigation functions. For image viewers and media players, Space has been the 'next' or 'play' button since before the days of Windows; you'll find the same Space/Backspace assignments in Irfanview and other programs.

Anyway, with Numlock on, you can also use the left and right arrow keys if you prefer those.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

CobaltBlue

• View Profile
Next / Prev Image
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-17 17:41:54 »
> > How do I change the key mapping for moving to the Next/Prev image when viewing an image?
>
> In the viewer's menu: View | Customize | Tab:Keyboard | Category:File. Not all assignments are possible, but I tried '[' and ']' and that worked fine.

Why would the arrow keys be purposefully excluded?

> > The natural keys are the left/right arrow keys, or even the mouse wheel.
>
> No. Not all keyboards even have (easily accessible) arrow keys, which disqualifies them as default keys for core navigation functions. For image viewers and media players, Space has been the 'next' or 'play' button since before the days of Windows; you'll find the same Space/Backspace assignments in Irfanview and other programs.
>

To be clear, I didn't ask the defaults to be changed. I recognize not everyone has the same needs as I have, nor the same preferences. All I was requesting is to be able to set the mapping to my preference (arrow keys). Since this is primarily an image viewing program, I assumed moving between images was the primary workflow. Being able to set the Next/Prev key mappings would be a primary requirement.

> Anyway, with Numlock on, you can also use the left and right arrow keys if you prefer those.

In the same way that some of the keyboards you've encountered don't have arrow keys, my keyboards don't have numlock or a number pad. Only arrow keys.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Next / Prev Image
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-17 19:21:21 »
> Why would the arrow keys be purposefully excluded?

I guess because the viewer is already purposefully using them to scroll images that are larger than the current window.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.