Author Topic: .tif-images in web page wizard  (Read 3542 times)

Johannes Leckebusch

• View Profile
.tif-images in web page wizard
« on: 2017-01-12 15:50:32 »
If I use a gallery with some .tif pictures to generate a web page, TP10 will generate the needed html files, the thumbnail overviews, and .htm-pages for every image. It also generates .jpg-Files and copies them into the folder for the webpage. But in the source for the pages, where it should replace the metatag {{image}} with the link to the actual picture, there always appears "imagex.tif", "imagey.tif", "imagez.tif" instead of "imagex.jpg", "imagey.jpg" and so on.

So the images will not be displayed. If I let it not convert the pictures to .tif, I get a line with the correct link (imagex.tif), but the browser will not display it (you can only download the image when clicking with the mouse on it).

I cannot find out how to tell TP 10 to change the image-name suffix. In Version TP 7 Professional (German Version) this always worked fine.

If I use already .jpg-Files als Source with the same (!) schemes for web pages, it works fine in TP 10 also.

Another little problem: Marking "Current folder" on the page "Input Files" does not always work, but it shows "3 pages" (for example)*; only marking "selected files" generates a number of webpages (and I must always mark the thumbnails in the overwiew).

* It says: "Unable to find any files in your selection to process for Web Page Wizard".

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-12 17:41:33 »
> If I use a gallery with some .tif pictures to generate a web page, TP10 will generate the needed html files, the thumbnail overviews, and .htm-pages for every image. It also generates .jpg-Files and copies them into the folder for the webpage. But in the source for the pages, where it should replace the metatag {{image}} with the link to the actual picture, there always appears "imagex.tif", "imagey.tif", "imagez.tif" instead of "imagex.jpg", "imagey.jpg" and so on.

Are you sure that you activated the "Convert Images" option on the "Linking to Images" page of the web wizard? I think the JPGs that you saw generated were only the thumbnails.

> So the images will not be displayed. If I let it not convert the pictures to .tif, I get a line with the correct link (imagex.tif), but the browser will not display it

Browsers don't usually support TIF files. The three generally accepted image formats on the WWW are GIF, JPG and PNG. If you're not in control of the browsers that will be used to visit your pages, use one of those three formats.

> Another little problem: Marking "Current folder" on the page "Input Files" does not always work, but it shows "3 pages" (for example)*; only marking "selected files" generates a number of webpages (and I must always mark the thumbnails in the overwiew).

Maybe this has something to do with your using a gallery rather than a folder? I haven't tested your findings. But then, you've already defined a table that can contain a known number of thumbnails (X columns x Y rows), so as long as you know how many images you're working with, even without this indicator you'll know how many pages will be generated.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Johannes Leckebusch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-01-12 18:09:00 »
> > If I use a gallery with some .tif pictures to generate a web page, TP10 will generate the needed html files, the thumbnail overviews, and .htm-pages for every image. It also generates .jpg-Files and copies them into the folder for the webpage. But in the source for the pages, where it should replace the metatag {{image}} with the link to the actual picture, there always appears "imagex.tif", "imagey.tif", "imagez.tif" instead of "imagex.jpg", "imagey.jpg" and so on.
>
> Are you sure that you activated the "Convert Images" option on the "Linking to Images" page of the web wizard? I think the JPGs that you saw generated were only the thumbnails.

It generates the thumbnails (and correct links to them) and the pictures (but no correct links to them).

> > So the images will not be displayed. If I let it not convert the pictures to .tif, I get a line with the correct link (imagex.tif), but the browser will not display it
>
> Browsers don't usually support TIF files.

Yes, of course, I know that ...

> The three generally accepted image formats on the WWW are GIF, JPG and PNG. If you're not in control of the browsers that will be used to visit your pages, use one of those three formats.

I've tried PNG also ... same problem.

> > Another little problem: Marking "Current folder" on the page "Input Files" does not always work, but it shows "3 pages" (for example)*; only marking "selected files" generates a number of webpages (and I must always mark the thumbnails in the overwiew).
>
> Maybe this has something to do with your using a gallery rather than a folder?

In Version 7 this didn't make a difference in this point.

> I haven't tested your findings. But then, you've already defined a table that can contain a known number of thumbnails (X columns x Y rows), so as long as you know how many images you're working with, even without this indicator you'll know how many pages will be generated.

The program predicts, how many pages it would generate, when selected "current folder", but than says, it didn't find any files, when it should generate them, when they are not preselected. This was not necessesary in TP 7.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-01-13 03:51:49 »
> It generates the thumbnails (and correct links to them) and the pictures (but no correct links to them).

In that case it looks like you found a bug, and you may want to report it directly to support@cerious.com (this forum is just for user to user discussion). It's best to use the word 'ThumbsPlus' in the subject line and maybe you can refer them to this topic for further information.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.