Author Topic: How to edit GPS (metadata) info in a photo?  (Read 3710 times)

msteger

• View Profile
How to edit GPS (metadata) info in a photo?
« on: 2019-02-22 15:28:32 »
Hello:
I am using ThumbsPlus 10 SP2 and need to know specifically how to edit or add GPS data to the metal data of some of my photos.  When I open a photo, I can see the GPS data (latitude, longitude, altitude, etc.) but the software won't allow me to add this data (seem that it is read only..clicking in the blank latitude box does nothing). I was under the impression that ThumbsPlus allowed this feature but I can not determine how to do it. I have searched through the FAQ and other help features of the software to no avail.

Under features for version 10, the website says "You can edit the XMP (including EXIF and IPC) metadata for any single image directly in a panel in the main window." What I want to know is.. how exactly do I do this? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.
Matt
« Last Edit: 2019-02-22 15:45:37 by msteger »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to edit GPS (metadata) info in a photo?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-22 19:28:33 »
Could it be that you're talking about raw files here?

With older versions of TP, you could only edit the metadata of JPG/TIF/PNG files, but v10 supposedly allows for the manipulation of metadata in raw files, too. However, this requires that you first activate an option "Allow creation and update of metadata in raw Digicam files" in the Options | Preferences | Metadata dialog. So, maybe that's what you have to do in order to get this to work.

The Help entry for this setting says: "ThumbsPlus can update metadata in most raw files, but after updating, some cameras will refuse to load the info. You can enable this option as long as you're not editing the metadata on the camera directly (through a mounted device), and as long as you don't plan to upload your modified images to the camera."

(btw, personally I would never write to my original raw files, but I guess working on copies would be okay).

Image | Batch Edit Metadata in the main menu is another way to edit the metadata of one or more files (if it still doesn't work through the metadata panel).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

msteger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-23 09:19:45 »
Thanks Daan. I am working with jpg photos that I took either with my Nikon digital camera. Since Google My Business likes to see businesses post photos taken at the business's location (thus, using the GPS coordinates of the business), that is why I am trying to add GPS data (latitude, longitude, altitude) to some of my photos before posting them. Some photos were taken at customer's homes so I don't want to use the GPS info from those photos. I have the options you list below already chosen but still can't edit or add the GPS data to any jpg I have saved.

Not sure what the edit batch metadata option is but I do see it. Would be helpful if TP v 10 would include a guide about how to use the various features.

Not sure what else to try in order to get TP v 10 to allow me to add or edit GPS data in jpg photos.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-23 12:59:58 »
Not sure what the edit batch metadata option is but I do see it. Would be helpful if TP v 10 would include a guide about how to use the various features.

Not sure what else to try in order to get TP v 10 to allow me to add or edit GPS data in jpg photos.

I can't get it to work either - not from the metadata panel and not using 'Batch Edit Metadata' (the latter allows you to change the metadata of multiple image files at the same time. However, it doesn't seem to support GPS fields).

ThumbsPlus has an extensive Help file. Just look under Help in the right-most part of the main menu.

An often-used free tool for geotagging (i.e. adding gps coordinates to photos) on Windows systems is Geosetter. Maybe you can use that instead.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-23 17:57:12 by Daan van Rooijen »
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.