Author Topic: SQlite3 (Thumbs8.tpdb8s) Performance  (Read 14501 times)

leedell

• View Profile
SQlite3 (Thumbs8.tpdb8s) Performance
« Reply #15 on: 2016-10-26 22:11:02 »
Speed comes with a price. When OS/2 went live, it used Microsoft's code for disk transactions, among other things, rather than the code that IBM had presented. The reason was that in testing, Microsoft's code was much, much faster. Later, they found out why: Microsoft had removed all parameter checking from the test code. So, as long as the calling program never supplied incorrect or impossible values....

To my point, though, using some of those options eliminates the safety nets in the client.
As stated at https://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_journal_mode

PRAGMA schema.journal_mode;
PRAGMA schema.journal_mode = DELETE | TRUNCATE | PERSIST | MEMORY | WAL | OFF

This pragma queries or sets the journal mode for databases associated with the current database connection.

The first form of this pragma queries the current journaling mode for database. When database is omitted, the "main" database is queried.

The second form changes the journaling mode for "database" or for all attached databases if "database" is omitted. The new journal mode is returned. If the journal mode could not be changed, the original journal mode is returned.

The DELETE journaling mode is the normal behavior. In the DELETE mode, the rollback journal is deleted at the conclusion of each transaction. Indeed, the delete operation is the action that causes the transaction to commit. (See the document titled Atomic Commit In SQLite for additional detail.)

The TRUNCATE journaling mode commits transactions by truncating the rollback journal to zero-length instead of deleting it. On many systems, truncating a file is much faster than deleting the file since the containing directory does not need to be changed.

The PERSIST journaling mode prevents the rollback journal from being deleted at the end of each transaction. Instead, the header of the journal is overwritten with zeros. This will prevent other database connections from rolling the journal back. The PERSIST journaling mode is useful as an optimization on platforms where deleting or truncating a file is much more expensive than overwriting the first block of a file with zeros. See also: PRAGMA journal_size_limit and SQLITE_DEFAULT_JOURNAL_SIZE_LIMIT.

The MEMORY journaling mode stores the rollback journal in volatile RAM. This saves disk I/O but at the expense of database safety and integrity. If the application using SQLite crashes in the middle of a transaction when the MEMORY journaling mode is set, then the database file will very likely go corrupt.

The WAL journaling mode uses a write-ahead log instead of a rollback journal to implement transactions. The WAL journaling mode is persistent; after being set it stays in effect across multiple database connections and after closing and reopening the database. A database in WAL journaling mode can only be accessed by SQLite version 3.7.0 (2010-07-21) or later.

The OFF journaling mode disables the rollback journal completely. No rollback journal is ever created and hence there is never a rollback journal to delete. The OFF journaling mode disables the atomic commit and rollback capabilities of SQLite. The ROLLBACK command no longer works; it behaves in an undefined way. Applications must avoid using the ROLLBACK command when the journal mode is OFF. If the application crashes in the middle of a transaction when the OFF journaling mode is set, then the database file will very likely go corrupt.

Note that the journal_mode for an in-memory database is either MEMORY or OFF and can not be changed to a different value. An attempt to change the journal_mode of an in-memory database to any setting other than MEMORY or OFF is ignored. Note also that the journal_mode cannot be changed while a transaction is active.

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-10-28 11:48:22 »
These points are wonderfully explained by you.

In this thread, however, the acceleration of SQLITE was the goal.

Each user should decide how much security or speed is important to him.

In my opinion, TP is rarely executing transactions that require this high level of security. The images are never endangered, everything else could easily be restored manually.
A backup copy of the DB after major changes also increases the security.

In my view, the advantage of rapid processing in daily use is the main advantage.

Regards Ilse

Lengo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2017-09-26 20:59:02 »
Re: Upgrading installation of SQLite.

Tell us where files exist, and where to make the entries. Provide notes of everything that must be changed IN ONE PLACE! Make it complete. I don't want to work that hard, or take the risk of getting something wrong.

Write a how to, and ask that it be put on Cerious' website where it can easily be found.

Thanks.

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2017-09-29 00:57:50 »
If these hints are unclear to you, you should not use them. There should already be some PC knowledge.

The best way to speed up TP is, according to my experience, the use of an SSD. The 'Thumbs.tpdb8s' should be on the SSD. So you speed up TP much more than any other tip can do.

regards Ilse

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2017-10-21 13:59:02 »
> Re: Upgrading installation of SQLite.
>
> Tell us where files exist, and where to make the entries. Provide notes of everything that must be changed IN ONE PLACE! Make it complete. I don't want to work that hard, or take the risk of getting something wrong.
>
> Write a how to, and ask that it be put on Cerious' website where it can easily be found.
>
> Thanks.

IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE, DO NOT DO THIS!!

For Windows 7 and 10 these are the steps I took to improve the performance of the SQLite database with TP10 (I would guess this will work with TP9 and TP8):

Before you start, be sure that TP10 is not running!

1) Go to the following web site and download the sqliteodbc drivers:

http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

Scroll down the page if necessary for this grouping of text:

Current version
sqliteodbc.exe <--click to download (even for 64bit Windows!)
sqliteodbc_w64.exe <--NO!
sqliteodbc-0.9995.tar.gz <--NO!
sqliteodbc-0.9995-1.src.rpm <--NO!

2) Go to folder where "sqliteodbc.exe" was saved and double click to install (virus scan first if you have doubts, but I have never had a single problem with this exe file).

The odbc driver will be installed in the folder:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLite ODBC Driver"

NOTE!  Save the "sqliteodbc.exe" as you will need to repeat steps 2 thru 6 if you install/reinstall TP10.

3) I am not sure if this step is necessary, but I do it regardless:

As the administrator using a file manager:

- go to the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLite ODBC Driver"
- copy (DO NOT MOVE!) the file "sqlite3odbc.dll" to the folder
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ThumbsPlus 10\Odbc"
- This will overwrite the existing "sqlite3odbc.dll" file.

4) Use a text editor to modify the file:

"C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\ThumbsPlus\Thumbs10.ini"

Edit this line to include the name=value parameters shown:

InitialDatabase=Database=\Thumbs8.tpdb8s;
Driver={ThumbsPlus SQLite3 ODBC Driver};Timeout=5000;NoCreat=Yes;JournalMode=Off;SyncPragma=NORMAL

Save the file.

5) This is likely not necessary, but I reboot the computer at this point.

6) Start TP10 and you should see a dramatic improvement in performance.

I hope you find this write up useful.

Again, if any of this gives you concern, DO NOT DO ANY OF IT.

Cheers.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2017-10-22 22:39:41 »
Revision.

In further testing, it appears the following step is NOT necessary.  Likely the original sqlite3odbc.dll file in this folder is used during the TP10 installation process and not when the program itself is run:

3) I am not sure if this step is necessary, but I do it regardless:

As the administrator using a file manager:

- go to the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLite ODBC Driver"
- copy (DO NOT MOVE!) the file "sqlite3odbc.dll" to the folder
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ThumbsPlus 10\Odbc"
- This will overwrite the existing "sqlite3odbc.dll" file.

The "sqliteodbc.exe" install will place the "sqlite3odbc.dll" odbc driver in the folder "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" for 64-bit Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I do not have access to a 32-bit Windows system, so I don't know where the dll file would end up in that case.

Jens Rieger

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2017-10-26 10:37:43 »
I use a Windows 7 64bit, too. The 32bit files are stored in c:/windows/system32

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2017-11-04 09:17:54 »
> Revision.
>
> In further testing, it appears the following step is NOT necessary.  Likely the original sqlite3odbc.dll file in this folder is used during the TP10 installation process and not when the program itself is run:
>
> 3) I am not sure if this step is necessary, but I do it regardless:
>
> As the administrator using a file manager:
>
> - go to the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLite ODBC Driver"
> - copy (DO NOT MOVE!) the file "sqlite3odbc.dll" to the folder
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\ThumbsPlus 10\Odbc"
> - This will overwrite the existing "sqlite3odbc.dll" file.
>

>
> The "sqliteodbc.exe" install will place the "sqlite3odbc.dll" odbc driver in the folder "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" for 64-bit Windows 7 and Windows 10.
>
> I do not have access to a 32-bit Windows system, so I don't know where the dll file would end up in that case.

Ugh.  Step 3) IS necessary! especially in Windows 10

mschnell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2017-12-11 13:22:39 »
We use the database on a NAS. nearly 2 GByte "Access" Database. No speed issues at all.

-Michael