Author Topic: Black dots when viewing animated GIFs  (Read 5649 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
Black dots when viewing animated GIFs
« on: 2016-04-01 17:27:37 »
I have a lot of problems with animated GIFs and TP. Most of them I've somewhat learned to live with, but one is causing a serious problem. Sometimes I will get lots of black dots when viewing the animation. Sometimes I will only get it when stepping through the animation. Any suggestions? It could be that the problem is with the files. Any suggestions for how I can change the file to avoid this problem? Thanks!

Helmer Aslaksen

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-01 18:42:59 »
> Sometimes I will get lots of black dots when viewing the animation. Sometimes I will only get it when stepping through the animation. Any suggestions?

Hard to tell without seeing an example, but maybe those pixels were supposed to be transparent (one color out of a GIF's 256 colors can be made transparent). If you have a copy of JASC Animation Shop (which used to come with Paintshop Pro), maybe you can use that to examine and fix the files.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-10 05:11:02 »
Dear Daan,

Yes, there is some problem with transparancy. Thanks for the tip about JASC Animation Shop. Will also see if I can do something in GIMP.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-05-10 05:31:06 »
By the way, here is an example of my problem.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-10 07:15:55 »
My guess is that those GIFs have a background color set (in this case green). I've never seen this happen in ThumbsPlus, myself. If my hunch is correct, those GIFs should not play correctly in other viewers either.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

aslaksen

• View Profile
Re: Black dots when viewing animated GIFs
« Reply #5 on: 2021-12-05 10:34:54 »
I have solved my problem, so I'm posting in case anybody else has the same problem. The reason for the problem is that the background is transparent. I use Gimp and do Filter > Animation > Unoptimise. I then check the "As animation" box when exporting, and all works well!