Author Topic: Multi-page file images error message  (Read 3236 times)

wjdaniel

• View Profile
Multi-page file images error message
« on: 2017-08-24 12:01:51 »
I convert Nikon .NEF files to 16-bit TIFFs using Nikon software View NX2. I would occasionally like to make minor edits in ThumbsPlus, but I get this error message:  "[file name] is a multi-page file containing 2 images; saving with the same name will save only the current image -- other images will be lost." ThumbsPlus then asks if I want to save with another file name, which I never do. When I check file/properties, the saved file is still 16-bit, which is great. But, I would like to know what the error message is trying to tell me about the multi-page file. What am I losing by saving as a single image?  Thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2017-08-24 20:11:40 »
Raw files usually contain one or more preview images, maybe the converter saved one of those to a second page.

When you are viewing one of those multi-page TIFF files in ThumbsPlus, see the bottom four commands in the Edit menu. They allow you to navigate through the pages, and to split the pages into multiple files.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

wjdaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-08-25 06:33:58 »
Very informative, Daan. Thank you very much. Page 2 turns out to be just a very tiny thumbnail, apparently created by the conversion process by the Nikon software. This discovery means I can freely edit the 16-bit TIFFs without worry of losing anything. Thanks again.