Author Topic: NEF/DNG Support in TP9  (Read 2704 times)

geoffschultz

• View Profile
NEF/DNG Support in TP9
« on: 2014-05-09 09:38:45 »
I am trying to figure out how to use either NEF or DNG format files in TP9.  When I edit either of these files and save the image adjustments either in the DNG file or in an XMP file, the thumbnail does not update to reflect the changes.  Same thing with NEF files with XMP sidecar files.

Also when batch processing the DNG/NEF files, I end up with an output file that has none of my edits to it.

Finally, if I use the Digicam plugin library for NEF files to generate thumbnails/display images, the images are magenta toned.  If I specify "Use Nikon libraries...", the images are fine.

-- Geoff

geoffschultz

• View Profile
NEF/DNG Support in TP9
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-09 12:08:52 »
One more issue:  Normally when I press F8 to display a slide show, I can press the Delete key to delete images.  With DNG files it doesn't allow me to delete the images.

-- Geoff

natgild2

• View Profile
NEF/DNG Support in TP9
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-15 00:13:10 »
I find the support for DNG files is very limited and Cerious ignores requests for bug fixes.  DNG files created by Adobe Lightroom 5 are displayed incorrectly.  I have reported this several times.  That was several TP updates ago. It surprises me because I purchased TP largely to display/convert various image file types.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
NEF/DNG Support in TP9
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-15 01:08:15 »
> I find the support for DNG files is very limited and Cerious ignores requests for bug fixes.  DNG files created by Adobe Lightroom 5 are displayed incorrectly.

The actual image data in a DNG file is never edited. What Lightroom does (well, can do) is remember the editing steps that you applied and save those (in Adobe's proprietary format) to the metadata section of your DNG file. Only Adobe software can re-apply those edits to make your DNG file look like it was when you finished editing it in Lightroom.

If other, non-Adobe, programs do (seem to) show the edited version, it's because you made Lightroom update the embedded JPG preview that's contained in the DNG file, and those other programs show you that JPG preview instead of the actual raw image (which, again, remains unchanged from the moment that you took the photo, and which is what ThumbsPlus shows you).

Finally, note that the Digicam plugin actually consists of two plug-ins, Digicam (plug_digicam.tpp) and DCRaw (plug_digiraw.tpp), and you can use either to develop raw files. Both also have various configuration options that you can set through Options | Digicam Plug-in and Options | DCRaw Plug-in, respectively.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.