Author Topic: did there used to be a separate TP viewer?  (Read 13086 times)

Connie

• View Profile
did there used to be a separate TP viewer?
« on: 2014-09-29 07:00:21 »
Many moons ago (years & years?), it SEEMS like I recall there was a way to do a quick view of a graphic file using TP, without having to start up the entire program.  Does anyone know if there was that option, and if so, is there currently an option to allow this?  I'm thinking maybe a right-click on the file name and choosing a TP 'mini-viewer'?

The reason this question came up is that I was trying to find a way to display .CGM files in Irfanview (it used to work, but I just updated to the latest version yesterday and now it tells me I have to buy a DLL in order to display the CGM file).  Duh.  I don't think so.

As I was googling "CGM file filter or viewer", it occurred to me that TP is able to display CGM files (thank goodness I don't HAVE to buy yet another program just to see my old CGM files).  Now I can at least see the graphic by using TP.  Then it occurred to me that TP used to have a small, separate viewer apart from loading the entire program and it was much faster.  

Anyone remember this?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-29 08:09:04 »
> Many moons ago (years & years?), it SEEMS like I recall there was a way to do a quick view of a graphic file using TP, without having to start up the entire program.

Up until v7 there was a separate executable 'tpview.exe', but all that did was to launch the main program and open a file in its viewer. It was only faster if ThumbsPlus was already running in the background.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Connie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-29 12:41:53 »
> > Many moons ago (years & years?), it SEEMS like I recall there was a way to do a quick view of a graphic file using TP, without having to start up the entire program.
>
> Up until v7 there was a separate executable 'tpview.exe', but all that did was to launch the main program and open a file in its viewer. It was only faster if ThumbsPlus was already running in the background.

Thank you, Dan.  I just went to an old computer and found tpview.exe and you're right -- it does require TP to be already running.  

Oh well.  Thanks so much for the reminder.

Regards, Connie