Author Topic: Twain devices  (Read 3521 times)

Dan Landiss

• View Profile
Twain devices
« on: 2012-09-26 17:07:22 »
Does anyone know how to activate again a Twain source (scanner of HP C6380 All-in-One) that has gone missing from the T+ "Image aquire" menu (v7/sp2)? The scanner uses an Ethernet connection, still prints, and is still seen by VueScan. Thank you!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Twain devices
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-26 18:00:14 »
> Does anyone know how to activate again a Twain source (scanner of HP C6380 All-in-One) that has gone missing from the T+ "Image aquire" menu (v7/sp2)?

There should be a folder named Twain_32 in your Windows folder. Inside it are .DS ('data source') files for your twain devices. The one for your HP is probably missing.

It should be part of the HP driver package for your all-in-one; locate the file, copy it to the twain_32 folder, reboot, turn the all-in-one on and it should work.

p.s. Vuescan has its own drivers.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Dan Landiss

• View Profile
Twain devices
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-26 18:58:01 »
Thank you, Daan. The HP Web site gave up a diagnostic file "HPPIW.exe" that includes a Wizard for finding and fixing bad drivers. It found the missing TWAIN driver and replaced it, in its own child folder under the C:\WINDOWS\twain_32 folder.

I saved a "Copy of........." just in case.

But the Wizard lied to me in the process. It told me the printer and computer were on different subnets. In fact the printer's IPAddress is 192.168.1.82 and the computer's is 192.168.1.50, both fed from a router at 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0. Different subnets indeed!

Thanks again for your speedy and accurate advice.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Twain devices
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-26 19:34:57 »
My pleasure! I recently had both a 5 year old all-in-one and an 18(!) years old laserjet die on me, and to avoid any such problems I've simply bought second-hand machines of exactly the same type (but in better, as-new condition) to replace them.
So, instead of looking for new equipment, uninstalling old drivers, diddling with plug-and-pray, configuring the new machines and then getting to know them, etc, all I had to do was dump the old printers and put the 'new' ones in their place. I saved money, lots of time and probably quite some frustration, so I'm still quite happy about that solution.. :-)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Dan Landiss

• View Profile
Twain devices
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-26 20:33:18 »
Ah, yes! I sometimes consider rebuilding the LaserJet IIIp up in the storeroom...