Author Topic: Can I install Python on my Windows 7 PC?  (Read 4842 times)

artifact

• View Profile
Can I install Python on my Windows 7 PC?
« on: 2011-06-20 07:25:40 »
I have installed ThumbsPlus 8 SP1 build 3537 on my PC (it runs Windows 7 64-bits).

Even though ThumbsPlus 8 SP1 build 3537 uses Python as its internal scripting language, it appears that, according to Windows 7 Control Panel, Python is not installed on my PC.

I find that very surprising.

I would however like to use Python independently from ThumpsPlus 8.

How should I proceed?

Do I have to install Python (it's version 2.7.2 that interests me) on my PC?

But is doing that compatible with ThumbsPlus 8 SP1 build 3537?

Regards,
Artifact.

hfremuth

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-20 09:47:28 »
There is some information in the help file (F1) that gets you started, just search for 'Python' there. v8 currently uses Python 2.7.1, with a number of scripts that can be viewed. Due to its small audience, the python functionality in v8 is not extensively documented. Take a look at the ThumbsPlus\Python\Lib\Thumb\ folder and review the existing scripts and comments.

Needless to say, this functionality (at least at this time) is intended for users who have an advanced level of knowledge about of software programming.

artifact

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-20 10:35:00 »
Thank you for replying.

I have already done (I did that yesterday) the search for 'Python' through the help file and also had a look to the ThumbsPlus\Python folder. In particular, I reviewed the scripts in the help and those that are in ThumbsPlus\Python\Lib\Thumb\ and have more or less understood (well, I think) their main principle of operation.

The point is that I would like to use Python separately from T+8, for other purposes than doing T+8-oriented scripting.

It's no problem for me to learn Python by myself and experiment it (in fact, I already learned a bit Python 2 years ago). Moreover, I have access to plenty of useful and educational literature about it.

FYI, I am a user who has an advanced level of knowledge about software programming (to illustrate, I practiced C, Fortran, Pascal, Java, SQL and a number of DBMS's, VMS and QNIX system programming and am familiar with scripting, which is a must for software developers) even if it's now almost ten years (I started my career in 1981 as a software developer - on RSX11M first, then on VMS, then on QNIX, then on ...) that I no longer do programming.

I have the feeling I haven't been clear enough with my question.

In fact, I would just like to know if installing Python (it's version 2.7.2 - which I would download from python.org - that I would like to install) on my Windows 7 PC is compatible with ThumbsPlus 8 SP1 build 3537?

I wonder that, because, according to the W7 control panel, Python is not installed on my PC, but T+8 is installed on my PC and T+8 uses Python.

Regards,
Artifact

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-20 11:34:30 »
ThumbsPlus is using a file python27.dll that is stored in its 'Bin' subfolder, where the Thumbs8.exe program itself also resides. If you create a separate Python installation, it should not affect ThumbsPlus at all.

Theoratically, if ThumbsPlus for any reason cannot load its own Python.dll, it may invoke another one if that other Python dll is in the Windows folder, in the System folder or anywhere on the Path. That seems unlikely though.

For more information on Dynamic-Link Library Search Order in Windows, see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586(v=vs.85).aspx
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

artifact

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-20 15:56:36 »
Thanks for this crystal-clear explanation.