Author Topic: ThumbsPlus 7 and 9 do not recognize I have scanners?  (Read 4432 times)

Support has not been of much help in this.

I have several scanners either hooked up via WiFi, USB or Ethernet to my PC and I have used most of them, Epson V37, Epson WF-3530, HP Envy, on my PC and used Thumbsplus 7 and 9 to initiate the scan process for photos.

Currently neither version, ThumbsPlus 7 or 9, recognizes I have scanners on my Windows 8.1 machine. I can use the scanning software in all the scanners listed above with no problem. I just cannot use any version of Thumbsplus on my computer to initiate the scan process.

At one time I had a problem with the Epson using Epson Scan's scanning software but that problem  has been fixed.

I have run two different anti-virus applications looking for some Malware but I haven't found anything.

Anyone run across this problem before.

System Information From ThumbsPlus Pro 7 and 9. Note my operating system is 8.1.

ThumbsPlus 7

ThumbsPlus 9

ThumbsPlus 9 does not recognize there are scanners in my system.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ThumbsPlus 7 and 9 do not recognize I have scanners?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-22 21:25:05 »
Are you sure that 32-bit scanner drivers have been installed? TP7 and TP9 are 32-bit applications, so the explanation why the other programs do work, might simply be that those are 64-bit applications using 64-bit drivers (or they use WIA instead of TWAIN to access the scanners).

Or (a slightly more exotic idea but you mention wifi and ethernet): if the scanners are network devices, firewall software may be blocking processes (eg. 32-bit manufacturer-supplied scanning modules) that try to access them.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-22 21:45:32 »
Both versions of Thumbs I own had no problem using any of my scanners until a few weeks ago. I am really confused on what has changed. They both quit working probably about the same time. I am guessing it was a system update or change but it is speculation on my part. I cannot think of anything else that would hit both versions.

I still use the programs and they work OK except they do not recognize any of my scanners. So I cannot use Thumbs to initiate the scanning process.

I sent a bug report in on Jan. 26th. I re-installed one program but it had no effect.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-22 22:32:28 »
With TP9, Twain can be turned off using the -safe or -notwain command line parameters. I thought you might be using one of those inadvertently, but that woudn't explain that TP7 is affected too.

Have you tried if other 32-bit programs are affected? (for instance, if you have it, [link=http://www.irfanview.com/]Irfanview[/link] through its File | Select Twain Source command)

« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-22 22:47:48 »
Just for fun I went out to Microsoft Paint. This is what I got.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-23 00:01:04 »
Yes, but that's likely a 64b application.

« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-25 20:41:07 »
After a new system update over the last two days my scanners re-appeared in both Thumbsplus 7 and 9.

It has been about a month since they disappeared from Thumbs and now they are back.

Problem fixed...