Author Topic: Finding Similar Images  (Read 3809 times)

ahindi

Finding Similar Images
« on: 2011-06-15 07:29:44 »
I'm trying to clean up my duplicate images. I have TP8 scan a tree for Similar Images and it works great in identifying them, all 5000 of them, even puts a = sign on the duplicates.

Is there a way to select all duplicates or tag all duplicates so I can delete/move them?

Thanks
Adnan

Pickman

• View Profile
Finding Similar Images
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-25 11:41:18 »
This is a feature I always wished for. The search for identical images is one of the reasons I use Thumbs in the first place, but having to manually select all duplicates for deletion is not very comfortable. As far as I see, this feature is missing in Version 8 as it was in Version 7.

hfremuth

• View Profile
Finding Similar Images
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-27 09:40:36 »
> Is there a way to select all duplicates or tag all duplicates so I can delete/move them?

AS far as I know, there is none, for good reason. The function finds all similar images, not just identical ones. Trouble is, ThumbsPlus simply can't determine which one is the original. Computers are still stupid...

The best / fastest way is to to tag them via the INSERT key (or the tag icon); ThumbsPlus rounds them all up in a special gallery called Tagged Images. It will still take you some time cleaning out 5,000 images. But at least you have done it yourself, and not a non-thinking computer algorithm...

Berni

Finding Similar Images
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-12 21:40:52 »
> I'm trying to clean up my duplicate images. I have TP8 scan a tree for Similar Images and it works great in identifying them, all 5000 of them, even puts a = sign on the duplicates.
>
> Is there a way to select all duplicates or tag all duplicates so I can delete/move them?
>
> Thanks
> Adnan

Hello Adnan!

When you sort a set of images by similarity, you might see 2 different signs beetwen adjacent thumbnails:

? (double tilde)
= (equal sign)

Case 1:
A "?" between 2 thumbnails means images are similar but not identical.

Case 2:
A "=" between 2 thumbnails, means images are not similar, images are identical because the computer file also is identical (MD5 are the exact same)

In Case 1 an automatic deletion would probably delete some files that you would like to keep and leave similar ones you would like to delete. I wouldn't try to delete identical files automatically using TP

In Case 2, it s not a similarity issue, you can find high quality free software to eliminate duplicate files, and you don't lose the image by eliminating any of the dupes, because they have exact copies of each other.

here is an example of a good free duplicate finder/elimination tool:
[link= http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/duplicate-cleaner]Duplicate Cleaner[/link]

Best regards,

Berni