Author Topic: sorting thumbs  (Read 2976 times)

toob

• View Profile
sorting thumbs
« on: 2014-04-13 10:46:34 »
Hi, I've probably overlooked this but a search on the forum and Google didn't turn up the answer.

When I unzip a series of images the files created on the OS maintain their modified dates. This makes it difficult to find those files unzipped last when sorting by date modified.

In Explorer I can add "date created" and then sort to bring the unzipped files to the top of the listing.

Is there a way to recreate "date created" sort order in TP9?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
sorting thumbs
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-13 12:00:13 »
> Is there a way to recreate "date created" sort order in TP9?

No, 'date created' is not supported by all file systems. ThumbsPlus uses the Date Modified field.

The easiest workaround is probably to turn the automatic creation of thumbnails off (options | Preferences | Thumbnails). That way, your newly unzipped files will appear as big red crosses at the top or bottom of your thumbnail listing (depending on your sort settings) and you can tag them, add them to a gallery, give them a unique keyword or do whatever else that would separate them from the rest, before you make thumbnails of them. You could even use Image | Quick Process | Modify File Info (Ctrl-Shft-Q) to set their file stamps to 'today' and then sort them by date as usual.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

toob

• View Profile
sorting thumbs
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-13 12:36:02 »
Thanks Daan,

Been using TP for years and never discovered "Ctrl-Shft-Q" that will help some way.

Turning auto create thumbs off & on would work but is a bit messy but if that's the only way...

"No, 'date created' is not supported by all file systems. ThumbsPlus uses the Date Modified field."

When you say "date created not supported by all file systems" that is true but I thought TP only runs on Windows, so I would have thought it reasonable for TP to be able to also sort by "date created" as it's created when the file is first written regardless of which OS the original file came from? (Perhaps a question for Cerious)

Another thought , could "user Fields" be used in some way perhaps?

Thanks anyway

TP is the best by far!

billbremer

• View Profile
sorting thumbs
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-23 22:22:32 »
To me it's strange to put "Modify File Info" under the Thumbnail drop-down menu.  Wouldn't it be more logical under the Edit or File menu?