Author Topic: Search Other IPTC Categories Besides Keywords  (Read 4489 times)

mosscomes

• View Profile
Search Other IPTC Categories Besides Keywords
« on: 2019-04-23 13:01:30 »
Is there a way within Thumbs 10 to search and select words that are in other iptc fields (like supplemental categories or source for instance)? I know there are some third party products, but their integration with Thumbs 10 is kludgey to say the least.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Search Other IPTC Categories Besides Keywords
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-23 17:31:46 »
That's possible only if you have configured TP to copy the desired IPTC values from the image files into user fields in its database.

For this to work you must have "Automatically populate user fields from image metadata" on in Options | Prefs | Metadata, and you must have made one or more user fields (Database | Setup User Fields) whose names are identical to those of the IPTC fields that you want to copy into the database. The user fields must be of type 'Text' and long enough to hold the data. From then on, when you make (or re-make) thumbnails, ThumbsPlus will copy the values from the IPTC fields to the matching user fields in your database, which enables you to search them (ThumbsPlus doesn't search files, it only searches its own database, which is much faster and which allows you to search media items stored offline).

P.S. for a list of iptc / user field names, see http://forum.thumbsplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=5916.msg5958#msg5958
« Last Edit: 2019-04-23 18:43:53 by Daan van Rooijen »
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mosscomes

• View Profile
Re: Search Other IPTC Categories Besides Keywords
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-01 08:04:14 »
Though I'd let you know that this did work and work as you stated. The key is to remake the thumbnails. The best way to do that is in the metadata editor itself, although using the the batch editor, you need to watch "operation to perform," especially if you want to keep some existing data. Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: 2019-05-01 08:13:40 by mosscomes »