Author Topic: Visible length of a video?  (Read 2908 times)

DancerX

• View Profile
Visible length of a video?
« on: 2014-09-07 19:46:46 »
TP9 SP1 3938
Windows 7 SP1

It would be very useful to have the length of a video visible in TP. Ideally, it would be nice to have it with the thumbnail, but I've found no option to do this. It would also be nice for music files.

TP captures the video length from somewhere (?) and includes it under File Properties in the Details tab. I created a User Field called Length, and have been copying the length from the Details tab and pasting it to the User Field. This is horribly tedious. There must be a better way to do this.

Does anyone know of a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-07 20:37:59 »
> It would be very useful to have the length of a video visible in TP.

Yes, it would. I remember suggesting this too some time ago.

> TP captures the video length from somewhere (?)

Apparently it's a field in the video files named "xmpDM:duration" that contains the length in (thousandths of) seconds. Sadly, I can't get TP to auto-copy the values to a same-named user field in the database, or even just to show it in the metadata panel. I tried a user field named 'duration' as well.. no luck. I agree it would be very useful.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DancerX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-07 21:42:29 »
> > TP captures the video length from somewhere (?)
>
> Apparently it's a field in the video files named "xmpDM:duration" that contains the length in (thousandths of) seconds. Sadly, I can't get TP to auto-copy the values to a same-named user field in the database, or even just to show it in the metadata panel. I tried a user field named 'duration' as well.. no luck. I agree it would be very useful.

Yes, I found that field, too. But it won't even appear in the Metadata pane. The field is there, but no value, though that's true for almost all of the metadata in the list.

Thanks for trying, Daan, and replying so quickly. It helps.

jthamby

« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-23 12:39:37 »
This would be a terrific feature, and I've wanted it to be in TP for years! Even Windows Explorer will show this, so it would be great if it could be added to the thumbnail view.