Author Topic: Problems using Image Similarity  (Read 3563 times)

glenntref

Problems using Image Similarity
« on: 2016-05-20 10:51:11 »
I am attempting to use File|Find and use the last tab for Image Similarity.  For a test,  i selected a picture of a car,  and used the default settings.  results were,
1) original picture
2) 2 small cruise ships
3) 20 pictures of the ocean and whales

not sure what i am doing wrong.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-05-20 15:03:48 »
If you expected the program to recognize objects and find images of similar objects, I'm afraid your expectations were too high :)

The purpose of this function is to help you locate duplicate images that may exist in your collection in various different file formats. If you have a certain image in JPG format, but you also have copies in PNG and TIF format, and a resized version in BMP and a grayscale version in PCX, this function should find them all even though on a binary level the files are completely different and have nothing in common. It may also find completely unrelated images that happen to share some metrics, such as (in this case) a fairly monotonous lower half.

So, the question is: Do you have more copies of the image of a car in your database? If you do, but ThumbsPlus did not find them, then something would be wrong.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

glenntref

« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-20 15:34:06 »
many pictures of cars, but, the more troubling is, that it returned images of the ocean, and small boats.

What is the difference between the following commands off the edit menu

Find
Find Similar
 -and-
Image Similarity from the Find

I use "Find Similar" to find all my duplicates with the same and other extensions.  ie: bmp, jpg, nef

I use "Find" and the first 4 tabs,  to find by keyword, date etc.

what is the purpose of "Find" and the 5th tab, "Image Similarity"

I forgot to provide the platform and versions

Running on 64bit windows 10, and running version 10-sp1-beta 1

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-05-20 16:51:09 »
> many pictures of cars, but, the more troubling is, that it returned images of the ocean, and small boats.

Like I explained, that's not troubling. The question is if you had more copies of that one particular image of the car, and if ThumbsPlus found those copies. Whatever it finds additionally, you can just ignore.

Edit | Find Similar finds similar or identical images from among a set of images.
Edit | Find | Image Similarity finds images similar or identical to one specific image. You can use it as the only search criterion or in addition to the other criteria on the other tabs.

glenntref

« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-20 17:50:14 »
So,  Image Similarity does not function like TinEye or googles search by image?

*Edit | Find | Image Similarity* finds images similar or identical to one specific image. You can use it as the only search criterion or in addition to the other criteria on the other tabs.

Going by the info you provided on Image Similarity,  if I searched for a car,  it should not return results of a ocean.  The only selection from the other tabs, are for the location to search.

I would understand it to either return 1 match,  the original, or to return other images of cars.  

Will Thumbsplus implement a search function like Tineye or google search by image?  this would be useful to locate images.

tnks

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-20 19:11:02 »
> So,  Image Similarity does not function like TinEye or googles search by image?

I can't comment on that. Google probably uses countless additional context criteria and much more refined image analysis to arrive at its results.

> Going by the info you provided on Image Similarity,  if I searched for a car,  it should not return results of a ocean.

No, please read my answers again because that's the exact opposite. ThumbsPlus only sees a matrix of pixels and isn't concerned with the content of the image at all.

> The only selection from the other tabs, are for the location to search.

Plus filename mask, keywords, user fields and any other (SQL) criteria you may want to use..

> Will Thumbsplus implement a search function like Tineye or google search by image?  this would be useful to locate images.

I strongly doubt it. But if you want to find duplicates of images in your collection, regardless of their file format, it works very well.