Author Topic: Database error: SQL Connect Error; Windows 8.1 conflict?  (Read 4977 times)

merchant

• View Profile
"Old problem" still unsolved. Some new info, and some screenshots included this time.

I just tried the latest update, ThumbsPlus 9 build 3935, hoping to get TP back to working order. TP worked on Windows 7. Worked on Windows 8. But it is no longer is working on Windows 8.1.

Latest versions of TP will not allow me to change compatibility settings.

TP does not run. It installs, but does not run. I install with default settings every time, but always get when I try to run it:

Nothing I do fixes the problem:

[*] Creating a new database
    [*] Open an existing database
    [*] Uninstalling, reinstalling
    [*] Deleting Thumbs.tpdb8
    [/list]

I tried running older versions: version 7 sp2 (Standard), version 8 (Standard). Same error.

I am logging on to Windows with an account that has administrator rights.

I even paid for an upgrade to Pro (yes, I now know, you get the same download file - I was getting desperate to get this to work).

Windows 8.1 64-bit
    .tpdb8 database
    ThumbsPlus 9 build 3935
    TP Error Message <5015*8036>

Screenshots:

1. Try to run:

2. Click OK and get:

3. Click "Open default database" and get:

4. Click OK and get:

(I search, and Thumbs.tpdb8 does exist at This PC > OS(C:) > ProgramData > ThumbsPlus)

5. Click OK and get:

6. Click Exit to finally exit.

Result of selecting Open database:

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    Database error: SQL Connect Error; Windows 8.1 conflict?
    « Reply #1 on: 2014-02-20 02:14:54 »
    I can't really help you (by lack of a Win 8.1 64b system) but to me it looks like the Windows ODBC drivers that ThumbsPlus requires haven't been properly installed or configured.

You should be able to run "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" from Start | Run to get to Windows' ODBC driver setup. It has a tab called Tracing where you can turn on a trace log that shows the communication between applications and the database drivers. When you've turned it on, you can run TP9, exit it, and hopefully the log file will provide further clues as to what went wrong (note that TP9 may run slower than usual when logging is on. Don't forget to turn the logging off afterwards).

TP itself has a diagnostic startup option too that you can access from Windows' Start | Programs menu (look under ThumbsPlus | Utilities).
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: 2014-02-20 16:17:41 »
    >
    > You should be able to run "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" from Start | Run to get to Windows' ODBC driver setup. It has a tab called Tracing where you can turn on a

Ran it, first got the warning:

clicked OK, ran through the errors, exited TP, turned off logging. I now have a log, but heck if I understand it (screenshots below).

>
    > TP itself has a diagnostic startup option too that you can access from Windows' Start | Programs menu (look under ThumbsPlus | Utilities).

Didn't do anything different than if I just started up regularly (I get all the same errors as before. TP will not get past starting up - it never finishes starting up).

Some %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe screenshots:

Some screenshots of the SQL.LOG (the four screenshots cover the first half of the log file):

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: 2014-02-20 22:35:34 »
    Hi Merchant,

It looks to me like you don't have the 32-bit MS Access and SQLite3 drivers installed. However, you already tried installing that Access redistributable that PeteW1959 found, and that didn't work, and frankly I can't think of any other suggestions for now.. hopefully Phillip will look into this for the next build.

There are more programs that have similar or the same problem, see e.g. these discussions:

http://www.interfaceware.com/manual/odbc_64.html
      http://kb.eset-la.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3101

If you're not ready to give up just yet, there's an installer for SQLite here:
      http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 2014-02-22 15:36:49 »
    >
    > If you're not ready to give up just yet, there's an installer for SQLite here:
    >   http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

Installed, but still, the same errors as before. I've not given up yet - been using TP for about a decade now and gotten quite used to it (spoiled by it), that I really want it to keep working.

>
    > I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Thanks.

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 2014-02-22 15:45:13 »
    > There are more programs that have similar or the same problem, see e.g. these discussions:
    >
    >   http://www.interfaceware.com/manual/odbc_64.html

Looking at this page, they say " The error occurs at this point because the data source was created using the 64-bit ODBC Administrator tool, and Iguana cannot find the sources made by that tool.

To fix this issue:

Set up an ODBC connection using the 32-bit ODBC Administrator tool located in the following directory: %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe"

I run %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe, and I get a "ODBC Data Source Administrator (64-Bit)" window. 64 bit. Not 32 bit, even though I ran the 32-bit ODBC Administrator tool. Shouldn't running %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe give me a "ODBC Data Source Administrator (32-Bit)" window? Could this be the issue, that I do not have a real 32-bit ODBC Admin tool (just a 64-bit one masquerading as a 32-bit one)?

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 2014-02-22 15:53:18 »
    OK, I realized one error. The 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of the ODBC Data Source Admin tool have the exact same file name. And the 32 bit is in the SysWow64 folder while the 64 bit is in the System32 folder. Same file name, 64-bit version in the 32 folder, 32-bit version in the 64 folder. I got confused.

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: 2014-02-22 16:30:35 »
    Looking at the "ThumbPlus is starting" message box, I see "Thumbs.tpdb8:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb)}" -- I don't have Access installed, so that's the issue? How do I change the driver? I am very inexperienced with ODBC Data Source Administration (as you probably can tell by now).

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: 2014-02-23 13:29:28 »
    > Looking at the "ThumbPlus is starting" message box, I see "Thumbs.tpdb8:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb)}" -- I don't have Access installed, so that's the issue?

No, as far as I know that driver is part of a standard Windows configuration. And I'd thought that if it were missing, the distribution that PeteW1959 suggested earlier would solve that. But yes, I think that missing Access driver is the problem.

Here's another driver pack that you could give a try:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23734

melliott716

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: 2014-02-27 22:57:23 »
    Note: I had a problem installing ThumbsPlus9 (3595) on Windows 8.1 with the error on the SQLite3 ODBC drivers.  Downloaded a prior version (3528) and installed it successfully.  Then was able to upgrade to 3595.

Seems to be a problems with the latest release on a clean Windows 8.1 install.

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: 2014-02-27 23:22:13 »
    Drat, they don't have build 3528 available for download. I tried installing version 7 Sp1, and Version 8 before, but they would not run either (same errors). Does look like ThumbsPlus and Windows 8.1 are not friends by any means. Is there some place one can download build 3528? The archive on the Cerious Website does not go earlier than build 3919 for version 9.

> Note: I had a problem installing ThumbsPlus9 (3595) on Windows 8.1 with the error on the SQLite3 ODBC drivers.  Downloaded a prior version (3528) and installed it successfully.  Then was able to upgrade to 3595.
    >
    > Seems to be a problems with the latest release on a clean Windows 8.1 install.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: 2014-02-28 05:11:21 »
    > Drat, they don't have build 3528 available for download. I tried installing version 7 Sp1, and Version 8 before, but they would not run either (same errors). Does look like ThumbsPlus and Windows 8.1 are not friends by any means. Is there some place one can download build 3528? The archive on the Cerious Website does not go earlier than build 3919 for version 9.
    >
    >
    > > Note: I had a problem installing ThumbsPlus9 (3595) on Windows 8.1 with the error on the SQLite3 ODBC drivers.  Downloaded a prior version (3528) and installed it successfully.  Then was able to upgrade to 3595.

Those numbers seem off.. 3528 was a v8 build. And the latest build is 3935, not 3595. But it's a great idea if it works. So, if 3928 of last Oct. 30 was meant, you can get it here:

ftp://ftp.cerious.com/pub/cerious/thmpls9_3928.exe

See ftp.cerious.com for many more versions that are still available.

melliott716

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: 2014-03-03 09:26:25 »
    My bad - I mis-typed the release numbers; it's 3935 I got the error on and 3928 I installed successfully, and then updated

merchant

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: 2014-03-03 23:01:24 »
    > My bad - I mis-typed the release numbers; it's 3935 I got the error on and 3928 I installed successfully, and then updated

Tried 3928. Still, sadly, the same errors.  

I am waving the white flag for now. Maybe when SP1 comes out for TP 9, I will try again. Hope that will be soon. If not, I am just going to have to finally, after many years (a decade) and wasted money on my recent upgrading to pro version, need to find something else to take TP's place. Just there isn't a TP competitor program that I am as happy with using as I was with TP. But that's life. I need to move on as I have some personal projects on hold because of this issue.

My thanks to everyone for your time and trouble in trying to help me with this issue. I am at my wits end, and out of options for now. Win 8.1 hath killed TP for me. Thanks Microsoft.  Maybe upgrades from Win 7 are OK, but starting from a clean Win 8 install and then upgrading to Win 8.1 apparently can have TP issues for some folk.