Author Topic: Can't uninstall TP9 after TP10 install  (Read 6670 times)

Nick Payne

• View Profile
Can't uninstall TP9 after TP10 install
« on: 2015-07-16 07:06:51 »
I find that having installed the release version of TP10, I have separate icons for TP9 and TP10, and I can run both TP9 and TP10, but when I go to Control Panel / Programs and Features to uninstall TP9, there is only a single Thumbsplus entry, and if I try to run uninstall for that, it wants to uninstall TP10. How can I uninstall TP9?

The problem is the same on both my desktop, running Windows 7 x64, and my laptop, running Windows 8.1 x64.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-16 07:32:01 »
I have the same issue. I removed the TP9 icon from the Taskbar by right clicking and 'Unpin this program from taskbar', but the program remains installed and can be run from the Start Menu.

We need a way of uninstalling TP9. We could select 'Clean Install' from the TP10 installer, but that would wipe out all our preferences.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-16 08:09:44 »
I had the same issue.  I deleted the following manually:

-Entries in start menu and if present the desktop icon and unpin from taskbar.

-The folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\ThumbsPlus9".

-The "9" files from "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\ThumbsPlus" that are not used.

-If you are feeling adventurous, delete ThumbsPlus9 registry entries using regedit (although these leftover entries seem to have no deleterious effects).

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-21 12:30:33 »
Thank you for your support of Cerious Software.

Yes, the v10 release installer has problems!

We have built another installer that will fix all of the issues for anyone that has run into problems with saving preferences and issues uninstalling v9. This installer will not allow ThumbsPlus preferences to be put in folders that Windows does not allow write access to.

This new installer has a lot of information, an express install and an advanced install.

There are a couple of other small bugs that are fixed in this new build as well.

I hope to be sending a message about its availability this afternoon or tomorrow morning. There will be more information about the installer issues and bug fixes in the release notes.

Laura Shook
Cerious Software, Inc.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-21 13:53:56 »
Hi Laura,

I noticed a few quirks during installation of v10 (build 4001) too. This was on XP sp3 and I picked the 'Everything in one folder (old style)' installation type:

1) Installing to C:\Program Files\Thumbs10 was not allowed. The installer only mentioned the Windows folder and Desktop as being not allowed. I don't use UAC so it was slightly annoying that this perfectly good target folder (where I also have Thumbs 7/8/9 sitting) was not allowed.

2) This error message about my folder of choice not being accepted had an OK and a Cancel button. I pressed Cancel because I wanted to cancel this target folder. The installer exited completely (*poof* disappearing from screen) where I'd expected it to only return me to the folder selection screen. I guess I should have pressed OK but Cancel seemed to make sense here.

3) I went on by installing to C:\Thumbs10, and the installer suggested a Start Menu group 'ThumbsPlus'. Why not 'ThumbsPlus 10', which will not interfere with older and/or future versions?

4) When the installer had completed, the last screen offers two boxes that can be marked, 'clean Install' and 'Run ThumbsPlus now'. I don't think that the former makes any sense at this point?

After installation, I noticed that the BIN folder contains four plug-ins: Digicam, Digiraw, Ghostscript and IPP. Shouldn't these be in the Plugins folder instead? Or, is Plugins no longer being used - but in that case, why is that subfolder still made?

Finally, the desktop icon and quickstart icon produced by the installer contain a comment "ThumbsPlus $VER$" instead of "ThumbsPlus v10".

P.S. Thanks for the kind words in the other topic :-)
PS/2: Could you please make a new forum category, "ThumbsPlus 10"?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Nick Payne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-21 18:01:15 »
So is this updated installer going to allow me to cleanly uninstall TP9, seeing that I have already run the previous TP10 installer that has caused TP9 to disappear from the list of installed programs even though the program is still installed and can still be run.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-21 18:50:37 »
Has the "ThumbsPlus | Utilities | Uninstall ThumbsPlus 9" entry disappeared from your Start | Programs menu? If not, you could try running that.

Alternatively reinstall, then uninstall v9 0:-)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Nick Payne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-07-21 19:28:40 »
Thanks. I hadn't noticed that Start menu entry. That enabled me to uninstall TP9.

BTW, the actual button text and progress text in the uninstaller is wrong. After gathering the information needed for the uninstall, the uninstaller put up an "Install" button that I had to click on to run the uninstall, and the progress text while the uninstall was running said "Installing...".

Dave K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-21 21:19:55 »
I am having same problem and concur with Nick - saw this as well. It was a bit confusing at first, I thought it was reinstalling when, in fact, I was removing it.

Dave K.

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-22 12:44:21 »
After you run the new installer you will be able to install/uninstall v9 successfully.

It is up on the pages now:
http://www.cerious.com/

Laura Shook
Cerious Software

Phillip Crews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ThumbsPlus.com
« Reply #10 on: 2015-07-22 14:53:49 »
Hey Daan!

> 1) Installing to C:\Program Files\Thumbs10 was not allowed...

Sorry, XP is too far gone for me to be able to afford to cater to! It causes too many problems to allow installation into Program Files, both for people with UAC and for XP users when they upgrade. During a Windows upgrade, Windows stashes things disallowed in Program Files in bizarre and hidden folders.

> 2) This error message about my folder of choice not being accepted had an OK and a Cancel button...

Fixed in 4002 installer. The cancel button is gone and OK takes you back to the folder selection.

> 3) I went on by installing to C:\Thumbs10, and the installer suggested a Start Menu group 'ThumbsPlus'. Why not 'ThumbsPlus 10', which will not interfere with older and/or future versions?

This is fixed as well.

> 4) When the installer had completed, the last screen offers two boxes that can be marked, 'clean Install' and 'Run ThumbsPlus now'...

Clean install deletes any existing .ini, .config, .vconfig, .mmconfig, and any modified.flt, and .typ files, giving a pretty much virgin version 10 install (except for the database, of course!). I could check if any of these exist before displaying the button, but I try to avoid too much logic in the installer - it's extremely complicated already, and adding more conditional logic tends to make it more likely to break somewhere.

>5) ...Shouldn't these be in the Plugins folder instead?

I have just never moved them to the (planned long ago) plugin folder because it's easier to leave them in bin. I'll eventually remember to quit creating that folder during installation! I didn't read this far in this post yesterday or I would have done it then! :)

> Finally, the desktop icon and quickstart icon produced by the installer contain a comment "ThumbsPlus $VER$" instead of "ThumbsPlus v10".

Fixed. InstallAware is anything but consistent in where you can use variables!

Thanks!
Phillip

Dave K

• View Profile
Can't uninstall TP9 after TP10 install - It's baaaack!
« Reply #11 on: 2015-11-19 00:13:00 »
Just installed V10 yesterday and once again, V9 has disappeared from the Program List in the Control Panel (as well as no uninstaller for V10 either). Apparently I am now stuck with both unless I want to manually delete files and hack the registry (which I'd prefer not to do - time consuming).

Any chance you have a fix for this yet? OR at the very least, an uninstall utility that will remove installed versions?

I'd reported this back in July and thought it would be fixed by now.

:(

Dave K.