Author Topic: something odd. tp on my desktop?  (Read 5683 times)

miltk

• View Profile
something odd. tp on my desktop?
« on: 2016-02-14 17:57:26 »
soi noticed this a while back and had been meaning to post.

i found,,like literally i did not know it was there ever before for 15yrs( i think it just appeared one day),,,a tp5.exe on my desktop(windowsXP)
it's not a td4 file, at first i thought it was a stray tp file so i deleted it. when i went to START/TP5 as is the norm, tp didn't start. i can't remember if the program itself didn't start or if  there was an error message. i don't want to replicate this event because it'll freak me out.

so essentially i have two executables now,,,the one in START/TP5 and the one on DESKTOP/TP5. since everything is backed up i'm a little concerned about this at some future point if i have to go to another computer.

any thoughts? i mean, i guess fiddle with what works but why are the two exe's linked in this manner and where might the desktop exe have come from?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-02-14 19:18:13 »
> i found,,like literally i did not know it was there ever before for 15yrs( i think it just appeared one day),,,a tp5.exe on my desktop(windowsXP)

I don't think ThumbsPlus ever included a file named tp5.exe.

But maybe you meant something like thumbs.exe, and if your ThumbsPlus can no longer be launched from its shortcut in the start menu, then it seems likely that at some point, you have inadvertently dragged-and-dropped your thumbs.exe to your Desktop. That would explain why it appeared there and why ThumbsPlus can no longer be launched.

> since everything is backed up i'm a little concerned about this at some future point if i have to go to another computer.

You could compare the contents of your ThumbsPlus folder in Program Files to the backed-up version to see if an executable is missing (and if so, copy it back).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-14 22:23:58 »
both  the start.desktop exe's work. it's just that when i deleted the new desktop version, the start version didn't. originally, when this happened, i thought the td4 file was what i saw on the desktop because of what happened when i deleted it.( i did a recover to restore the desktop file.) it wasn't until a week ago that i realized the desktop file is an exe.

btw, i just noticed something else. there's a TDO file on the desktop too!  what's up??

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-02-14 23:47:38 »
The .tdo file holds database-specific settings and it is loaded when a same-named database in the same folder is loaded. So, if there's no matching .td4 database file in your Desktop folder, then this .tdo is not being used and can be deleted (or moved back to wherever it came from).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-19 02:25:59 »
when i setup an tp on another computer i always copy/paste the td4 file.

is the tdo file another file i should copy/paste  and are there any other files to consider copying.