Author Topic: DPI vs PPI  (Read 3159 times)

Paul

• View Profile
DPI vs PPI
« on: 2017-01-11 13:12:32 »
I need to submit photos digitally to a show and the requirement is that they be a minimum of 1920 pixtels on the long side. All I can find in Thumbsplus is DPI, so do I convert that to pixtels?? My typical image is 1200 high and that shows up beautifully even on a 60" LCD screen. Converting it to 1920 seems overkill.

Paul

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DPI vs PPI
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-11 14:13:50 »
> I need to submit photos digitally to a show and the requirement is that they be a minimum of 1920 pixtels on the long side.

TP can show the dimensions (in pixels) below the thumbnails just like their filename, date and filesize. If the dimensions aren't currently displayed, press the lightbulb icon and mark Dimensions to turn this on.

Or, when you open an image in a view window, you can see the dimensions in the status bar (if not, right-click on an empty spot in the status bar and in the context menu mark 'image dimensions').

Or, view the properties of an image (Alt-Enter on the thumbnail, then 2nd tab 'details'), where the dimensions are shown as well.

Upscaling an image will not add any detail to the images, so it won't visually improve them or make them better suited for displaying or printing in large format. It may be best to just submit them as-is, and leave it to the show organizers to decide if they can use them.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.