Author Topic: Cannot uninstall Beta build  (Read 3099 times)

DaveImagery

• View Profile
Cannot uninstall Beta build
« on: 2016-07-14 14:04:15 »
Hi everyone,

Something happened to my Thumbs+ installation, I'm guessing during my upgrade from Win7 to Win10.  Though I'm not sure why that would be.  Anyway, I cannot install 4011, as I get an error message stating prior build detected, and a fatal error occurs when setup tries to remove the beta version.  It says "please uninstall it yourself, via add/remove programs".  Which I have done.  I'm guessing the uninstall process got corrupted somehow.  Now I cannot install any build of thumbs plus.

I just used CCleaner to hopefully clear any remnants of thumbs plus, and attempted to try to install again, but to no avail.

What and where in the registry do I need to wipe out, in order for me to install again.  And will my license be lost?

Thanks very much for any help.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-14 18:55:42 »
> I just used CCleaner to hopefully clear any remnants of thumbs plus, and attempted to try to install again, but to no avail.

An alternative that some have used successfully is Microsoft's FIXIT (if that is still its name):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

> And will my license be lost?

Your license information consists of a registration name, a registration code, and a number of users. You should have these in an email from when you purchased ThumbsPlus. You can also find them in the registry (as Username, Usercode and Usercount respectively) if you open it using Regedit.exe and search for 'Cerious'. I don't know if the location is always the same for all types of systems and installations, but for me they're found in all three of these locations:

> What and where in the registry do I need to wipe out, in order for me to install again.

If you're going to wipe everything manually, I'd be careful to remove only the entries pertaining to ThumbsPlus 10 (not any other ThumbsPlus versions or Cerious programs that you may have). Those correspond to the entries I listed above (if the uninstaller hasn't removed them).

Hopefully that does the trick, but if not, there is more, and maybe that is what the installer gets stuck on on your system. There's a section in the registry that deals with Windows' installation system, that also has entries about ThumbsPlus (and lots of other programs that you have installed, so be careful). Again you'll find them when you search for 'Cerious'. In my case, the entries are in (sub-keys of):

Within these entries, you'll likely also find references to a folder where ThumbsPlus' installation program stores copies of the original installation files, which can be used to repair an installation. In my case (on trusty old XP!) that cryptically named folder is:

I don't know what is causing the hiccup in the installer for you, but it could be any of these sections in the registry, or that folder and its contents. Personally I'm not shy of adventurous computing and I'd just remove them, but I won't recommend that to others.. Make your own call! :-)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DaveImagery

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-14 23:26:24 »
Thank you so much for the in depth response.  I found my registration email, so I'm good there.  Funny thing is, I've already gone into the registry, and removed anything that came up under the searches, Thumbs, Thumbsplus, thumbs10, and Cerious, being careful only to remove entries that actually do pertain to ThumbsPlus.  What you've provided is a big help, I will go in and see if those items are in fact removed.

Thanks again for your assistance :)